Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robert-a-hudson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Britain
Morning all,

I have iPhoto 9.5.1 and Aperture 3.5.1 and all my photos in one photo library. It's getting a bit large, and as well as this, I've now got some other devices I'd like to be able to view the photos on. As such, I want to export my images with
- with all the edits I've done in iPhoto/Aperture
- including the data fields I've added - key are 'Description' field and Location data
- in original format which is a mix of JPEGs and RAWs (i.e. not just new JPEGs)

I'm struggling to find a way to do all of this between either iPhoto or Aperture. The only options I can find are:
  • iPhoto export option 'Current': Original format (i.e. jpeg or raw) but with no added data,
  • iPhoto export option 'JPEG' - this lets me added data, but converts everything to JPEG. It also results in an increase in file sizes (approx doubles existing JPEGs which is a negative)
  • Aperture - Original format including IPTC includes description, but not GPS, and also doesnt save any of the edits to the image.
  • Aperture - Export>Version, and Preset 'JPEG -Original Size' this includes all metadata (description and GPS) but converts all to JPEG (and reduces the JPEG file size - perhaps a loss of quality due to compression). Unfortionately there is no option to save the RAWs.
  • Aperture - Export Metadata - saves the metadata for the file only as a txt.

I've done various searches around the web but can't seem to find a solution, so I'm hoping someone can help. People must want to export their photos:
  • In original format (JPEG or RAW)
  • With edits
  • With all metadata

So please can someone help me to do this, it's driving me nuts!?!?!?

Thanks in advance

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
iPhoto export option 'JPEG' - this lets me added data, but converts everything to JPEG. It also results in an increase in file sizes (approx doubles existing JPEGs which is a negative)
That maybe due the settings in the Export menu. I'm using iPhoto08. In the Export settings for JPEG quality, I have: Low, Medium, High and Maximum.

If I export a 155Kb photo(JPEG) as a JPEG, I get the following file sizes: Medium, 152Kb(same as dragging straight to Finder); High, 220Kb and Maximum, 611Kb.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
It seems like you have two incompatible goals to decide between.

Leaving metadata out at the moment, you say you want to preserve your edits AND you want the original photo (JPEG or RAW). In my understanding, you can have one or the other (unless you export two copies which is an option), regardless of which photo software you are using.

The RAW files are by their nature unedited, so if you want the RAW file and the edited version of a given photo, you will need to export both copies.

I would say think more about the purpose of the photos you will export and decide whether you truly want 1) The edited version only, 2) the original version only, or 3) both the edited and the original.

Once you decide what to do there, Aperture definitely gives you the most flexibility on export, as you can customize and save your own presets to optimize file size, quality, resolution, metadata etc.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Take a look at Aperture Exporter; it's in the App Store but there's a demo here: https://apertureexporter.com

It might make things much easier for you; although designed in large part for people moving to Lightroom it is an EXPORTER from Aperture, not an importer into Lightroom.

robert-a-hudson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Britain
Take a look at Aperture Exporter; it's in the App Store but there's a demo here: https://apertureexporter.com

It might make things much easier for you; although designed in large part for people moving to Lightroom it is an EXPORTER from Aperture, not an importer into Lightroom.

Thanks for the suggestion. It still seems mad to me that there isn't an easy option to achieve what I can't believe would be a fairly common requirement for people with multiple devices...

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion. It still seems mad to me that there isn't an easy option to achieve what I can't believe would be a fairly common requirement for people with multiple devices...

You saw sahnert's comment, right: you don't have to export RAW or originals.

With Aperture, you certainly can export metadata. The standard way to do that is to use XMP sidecars so you preserve your originals, per above. I believe that includes geolocation data. With LR and other applications you can write this to JPEG as well; I assume you can with Aperture as well.

NO RAW processing or editing/adjustment application can do anything but export a new file; that's the whole point of non-destructive editing (per above).

Most use 16 bit TIFFs as an export option since they preserve as much as possible for further editing, but it depends on what you are using the exports for. You're not stuck with JPEGs.

Your RAWs are like negatives. They can only be used like negatives in other applications; in other words, THOSE applications will have to process them. No way around that.

If you want adjustments (versions in Aperture-speak) to be used outside Aperture, you need to "print" (export) those "negatives" (masters, originals, RAWs). No way around that. That's what these programs do. That's how RAW works.

In fact, Aperture can do all that you are requesting. https://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/index.html#chapter=21&section=0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.