Iphoto >Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mattyb240, May 20, 2009.

1. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Ok, so heres the big question....

I have imported my iphoto library into aperture using a managed system so it is not referencing the files from iphoto. Can I then delete all of the images in iphoto? Does that remove the files in finder that iphoto used? If not can I now safely delete the picture folders from finder?

Sorry if this sounds confusing but I am finding this confusing to! :confused:

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes you can simply "trash" the iPhoto library.

A more conservative plan would be to go into the pictures folder and re-name the iphoto library to something like "dragthistothetrashtomorrow" then check if everything still works as expected. If it does then trash the "dragthistothetrashtomorrow" folder.

The files are not completely gone off the disk drive until you "empty" the trash.

3. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

... or even do the suggested name switch above after you've allowed Time Machine to do a round or two of backups. Then you can literally use Aperture for months and if you find a problem, restore the iPhoto library file from Time Machine.

4. mattyb240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys! God bless time machine, I think I will take my chances and delete it, I seriously would question how I would attempt this on a windows machine....
    :apple:

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

The problem I found when I went from iPhoto to Aperture and then deleted my iPhoto Library was that I failed to remember that my iPhoto Library had those little videos my point-and-shoot camera could do.

Almost 9 months after having deleted it, I remembered ... but Time Machine saved the day. Took forever to restore my old iPhoto Library, but it was still there. :eek:

6. noahc macrumors member

Thanks for the reminder -- I'm about to make the transition myself and would likely have forgotten.

I liked that feature of iPhoto; being able to integrate video clips. I take it Aperture can't keep video in your photo library? Any other suggestions for how to catalog it?

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

When you connect your camera to Aperture, it gives you the option to move the videos to a folder. I just dumped them on my desktop until I imported them into iMovie, and then deleted them.