iPhoto app on MacPro installed with another's apple ID... Can't update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by broemer, Nov 1, 2014.

1. broemer macrumors newbie

I bought my MacBook Pro from someone else. It was my first Mac, and I didn't realize then that any apps he downloaded and installed from the app store would forever after need his Apple ID and pw to update. So, I merrily used the already installed iPhoto, uploaded all my photos, and ignored the update notifications for iPhoto, since I didn't have his pw...

Now, I have installed Yosemite, and the old version of iPhoto will not work. Any ideas of what I can do? I am most concerned with saving my photos.

Thoughts I have had:

* Uninstall iPhoto and reinstall it with my ID... But, if I do this, will I be able to access my photos, or will they be uninstalled with the old program... or, will I not be able to import to the newly installed iPhoto because they were uploaded originally to a new iPhoto?

* Contact the guy and see if he'll give me his pw so I can update iPhoto, then somehow save my photos somewhere, uninstall it to get rid of his ID, then reinstall it with my ID. But then again, will I be able to access my photos?

I'm still a Mac newbie, and really miss the ease of photo filing/access on windows explorer. I can see the iPhoto library in Finder, but of course, can't access them without iPhoto.

Thanks in advance for your patience and help. ;)

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Uninstall iPhoto and reinstall it using your own Apple id. Don't worry about your photos, they'll still be in your pictures folder. If you're particularly worried, you can back up your iPhoto library before uninstalling, but it's really not necessary.

Uninstalling iPhoto will leave your iPhoto library unmolested.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Just be aware, there were a couple of iPhoto updates that updated the iPhoto library, im not sure if you have missed BOTH of those updates whether the oldest library can be updated to the newest library in one go by the current iPhoto.

To guard against isdues def backup your Pictures folder with your iPhoto library in it first, ready if you hit an issues.

4. broemer thread starter macrumors newbie

Worked like a charm and was so easy! Thank you both so much!

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Glad to hear!

I'm a bit paranoid about my 600GB photo library, sorry if I worried you :)