iPhoto/App store reinstall problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Soundhound, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I've been having some problems with iPhoto (very slow, hangs up a lot etc.) I had moved my iPhoto library to my Drobo storage device, and a few people suggested that might be the problem, that there have been reports of trouble with iPhoto libraries on Drobos. So I copied the library to another external.

I was then going to move the library back to the internal drive (i recently got a much larger internal drive). I was looking around for where the files should go, when I notice that the iPhoto application itself was 1.3 or so gigabyes. This didn't seem right, so I thought I should reintall it. I dragged the application to the trash (it's still there) and went to the App store. I clicked on iphoto, and it said I'd already purchased it, and did I want to purchase again. I said yes, and it said 'Installing'. But nothing happened, it just sat there sayinng 'Installing' in the app store label under iphoto, for a long time.

So finally I restarted my iMac. Now when I go to the App store, it doesn't say Installed under iPhoto, it just say the price. When I click Buy it says do you want to buy it, and I say yes. And nothing happens.

Arg! Anyone know how to get this right, get iPhoto up and running, and use the library that I have off my Mac, currently on external drives (two identical copies).

Sorry for the long email, and thanks!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

First, you don't reinstall from the App Store that way (that repurchases it, just as the message stated). Go to the Purchases tab at the top and find iPhoto in the list, then click the Install button there. You'll probably see an extra charge for iPhoto on your next iTunes receipt email (you should be able to get them to refund it).

As far as it not installing properly, if it doesn't work after trying the method I outlined above, try completely uninstalling iPhoto. In particular, make sure you delete (in addition to the .app itself) the iPhoto related files in ~/Library/Preferences/ and ~/Library/Application Support/. There may be others as well, you can search using Spotlight, although it won't by default find system files (most items in the Library folders). To allow it to search there, click Show All (if you were using the menubar search tool), so you're viewing the results in a Finder window, and click the + button on the top right, find System Files in the list, and click OK, then change the dropdown menu to "are included". Then try reinstalling.

jW

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you so much. I knew I was doing this all wrong, but had no idea how! I'll try that soon as I get back!!!

4. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

Sorry to comment so late on this point, but If I purchase something I own it forever and I can get still redownload if I have to wipe my machine?

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yep. The only exception is if it's removed from the App Store, in which case you wouldn't be able to redownload it.

jW