Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
1.83 MBP, 100/1.5, 10.4.6, everything up to date.

My new camera came today (Canon a530), and I snapped a few pictures (mostly of a protesting girlfriend). When I plugged in the camera, iPhoto started up, and then proceeded to tell me I needed to update my library to be compatible with v6.0.2. I don't know what it did, but nearly all of my photos are just blank gray squares that won't load. The only exception is a few shots I took last fall. Also, whenever i try to edit one of the shots I took last night, all I get is a beachball and have to force quit. Please help.

domzanghi

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2006
Have you tried to open the files in another photo application? This will isolate the problem & see if the actual photos are still OK.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
domzanghi said:
Have you tried to open the files in another photo application? This will isolate the problem & see if the actual photos are still OK.

They're all intact; I tried opening a sampling with Preview. I didn't want to go through all 500 one by one. They're not where they're supposed to be though - they're in a folder called "Recovered Photos", even all the pictures I thought I had deleted.

Katya

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2005
The same thing happened to me. I imported pics taken from my friend's Canon EOS350D into my iPhoto library and I can't load most of them. When I click the edit button, I just get this gray box with an exclamation point in the middle. What does this mean? Not all pics were affected though. The pics that have been rotated to landscape orientation load properly when I click Edit, but the ones that are in the portrait position don't load at all.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

polythene pam

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2005
Florida
I have the same problem on my iPhoto, with the little grey box and the exclamation point. My photo library has been all messed up ever since I updated to the new iPhoto 06. Instead of having just one folder called 2005 and 2006, which were then divided into separate folders for each month, I now have three sets of 2005 & 2006, and I cant find anything anymore!!!!

P.S. Thanks for the rebuilding the library link, Mad Jew! I'll give it a shot!

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
mad jew said:
As in, you rebuilt the library and it didn't fix the problem or you couldn't get the library to rebuild? :)

As in I rebuilt the library but still can't see my pictures. I did find a fix after a fashion, though:
1. Copy iPhoto library [user -> Pictures -> iPhoto Library].
2. Open iPhoto and delete all grayed out pictures.
3. In the iPhoto Library folder (not the duplicate), delete all empty folders.
4. From the copied folder, drag all pictures from "Recovered Photos" into iPhoto.

There is a downside to this solution. You will lose all your albums and any other way you have your pictures sorted in the process, so you'll have to go back and resort them. Fortunately i haven't erased my old computer (somebody please buy it) yet, so I can use the files from it as a guide. If you can think of a better way to remedy I'm all for it as this is somewhat tedious and time consuming.

Katya

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2005
I'll try to rebuild by library tonight. At least I feel somewhat better knowing that I'm not the only one going through this problem.

Thanks for the tips!

chilli

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
canada
I have this problem with both users on my mac. I have deleted and than reloaded all of my photos on one account and its still happens. i am loading the pic from disks. i have reloaded the disks and still nothing. help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.