iPhoto Auto-Sync with Pictures Folder (???)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by doobs, Oct 28, 2008.

1. doobs macrumors regular

I would like to use iPhoto to organize/view my pictures, but I have a concern about auto-syncing with my Pictures folder. When I add a new picture to my Pictures folder, is it possible to have that picture automatically add to my iPhoto library so that I do not have to import my pictures each time I add a new one to my Pictures folder? Thanks!

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Let iPhoto do it for you. In the preferences, mark the box that says "add to iPhoto library".

3. doobs thread starter macrumors regular

I have the option "Copy items to the iPhoto Library" checked (I assume this is what you mean since I have no "add to iPhoto Library" option). Basically, when I download a new Desktop picture to my Pictures folder, I want it to automatically add to my iPhoto library when I launch iPhoto, so that I do not have to manually add it. That is, can I have my iPhoto library and Pictures folder synced automatically whenever there is a change in my Pictures folder? Thanks!

4. doobs thread starter macrumors regular

If this is not possible through iPhoto, then does anyone have an idea if AppleScript could do this?

5. haphmiler macrumors newbie

I am looking to do this as well, it is so annoying to add pictures to your pictures folder then have to look through it to add them to iPhoto. You would think that you can do this but I havent found a way yet either...

6. thehotrod11 macrumors newbie

Did anyone figure this out? I currently have snow leopard and iPhoto 09. But I haven't been able to figure out how to get iPhoto to automatically add new photos in my Pictures folder everytime I start the application.
    Is there some setting I'm missing or is there a 3rd party application or script I can use.
    Picasa automatically scans my 'watch' folders and adds new pictures, but it seems to be buggy.....I'd love to use iPhoto, but I do not import pictures on my Mac, they are added to my Pictures folder via Sugarsync from my other computers.

Thanks for the help in advance.

7. ToddJ macrumors 6502

i am also looking for how to do this...i would think iPhoto would be a better program than this, but it doesn't seem to be. when you post questions like this on the Apple forum, people keep defending iPhoto, but don't explain very well why they think it is.

8. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

9. shuffleking macrumors newbie

maybe this helps

in the iphoto content folder, there is a folder called "auto import". use this folder instead of another folder (or create a link-folder from this) and drag your new photos into this folder. iphoto will auto-import them and then delete the source-files.

well, this is not the perfect solution but maybe a little help. an auto-watch would be perfect with my dropbox picture folder. come on apple, do it!