iPhoto: Automatically name events when importing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by keaide, Jan 22, 2011.

1. keaide macrumors regular

I'm currently transferring my data from Windows to a new iMac. My photos were organize according to dates. I would like to know how to have iPhoto automatically label the "events" according to the dates the photos were taken, such as "Oct 22, 2010").

This does not work at the moment. When importing the "My Pictures" folder from the external HD into iPhoto, then iPhoto automatically creates events according to the name of the subfolder that contains the pictures. So if I have a folder structure 2010-->10-->22, the event name will be "22". For some special event this is fine, as the subfolder name is the name of the event. But for most pictures, I would like iPhoto to label the event according to the date the picture was taken ("Oct 22, 2010").

iPhoto does this automatically when I select the pictures in the subfolder directly and import them, but not when I drag and drop an entire folder structure (then the event is names after the subfolder that contains the respective pictures).

2. keaide thread starter macrumors regular

Just found a solution by myself. After importing the pictures, I select the imported events and select "Autosplit Selected Event" from the Events menu. Then the pictures get divided into one unnamed event per day and iPhoto uses the date of the day as default title.