iPhoto Back Up. Simply copy iPhoto Library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by patent10021, Jan 15, 2012.

1. patent10021, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

I've copied my iPhoto Masters folder on another HD for safe keeping but when it comes time for a fresh install of Lion I'd like to have a smooth and easy way to simply continue from where I left off. No fussing with importing and possible messed up files. What's the best way to go about this?

EDIT: After some reading it looks like all you need to do is copy your iPhoto Library file (/User/Pictures/iPhoto Library) to wherever you want and then when you're ready to import to a new HD just select import from the iPhoto menu?

That's it?

/

2. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Depending on how you did the copying, you may have changed where iPhoto is pointed towards so you if you start losing album and event information, you will need to take remedial action. It happened to me and there are work-arounds but they are fussy.

A fresh install of Lion shouldn't affect your data. What exactly are you trying to do?

Ultimately the most elegant way would have been to use Time machine to make a back up of the entire machine so when you buy the new one, you can simply use Set-up assistant (if you buy from an Apple store, they can help you with the process if you back up on a portable external hard drive) or subsequently Migration assistant)

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

Yea aware of time machine but don't need it as iPhoto data is the only data I need backed up. Media is on other TB HDs.

I've read on a few sites that all you need to do is copy the iPhoto Library file (mine is about 11GB) and whenever I'm ready just select import from within iPhoto and select that same 11GB file.

4. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

I wouldn't do that if I were you. It will probably screw up your events and/or album characterisations.

Do you have an external hard drive? If you do, time machine would be by far the most elegant way of doing it. How do you back up anyway?