iphoto Back up ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by itsparks, Feb 14, 2010.

1. itsparks macrumors newbie

Ok i know how to back up iphoto by just dragging the photo's folder to a dvd/cd, but is there a way to compress the photos in iphoto so its smaller or another way to back it up ? Mine is 30 gigs.

J'

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

You could just try zipping up your iPhoto library,although what I do is just export all my Pictures to a *.zip file once a month and back that up to an external HD.

3. itsparks thread starter macrumors newbie

Or make a dmg file, however i hate to back my photos up to a hdd, never trust them and have lost my photos before. I like dvd, i might be able to get a blueray burner, but then i won't be able to read them from my laptop.

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Maybe you could back them up to multiple HDs (I have my most important stuff on my MacBooks Internal, My External and also my G4s HDDs). Then its unlikely that they would both/all die at once - another possibility is to get one of those shiny WD drives that can be a mirrored RAID array out of the box, so if 1 of the internal drives fails, you can still recover everything off of it :D

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Backup with Time Machine if you are running OS X 10.5/10.6. Though you mentioned you hate backing up to a hard drive...You do know that backups to optical disc are more fragile and prone to being corrupt than hard drive platters?

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Optical backup is probably the worst possible choice that one can make. Backing up to the cloud is the best choice for a single backup strategy. Dual automatic independent backup is better.

For Macs, I suggest a dual backup strategy consisting of:

Mozy and/or Crashplan for cloud backup
    TimeMachine for local backup

/Jim

7. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Theres only 1 major issue with cloud backup - large amount of data takes forever. I mean he has 30GB - on any internet connection anywhere outside of very fast DSL/ISDN/Fiber thatll take forever to upload. I mean I wont be moving to a cloud backup till 1000Mbps Internet becomes standard (just try backing up large video files to the cloud - will take forever).

8. itsparks thread starter macrumors newbie

Time machine fills up so fast! I guess i could buy a 2tb drive and use that but meh!

Question, how many drives can be connected to a apple wireless router ? I know i have a 250gig drive and a printer with a small usb hub, but can you connect more drives ?

J'

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

What's filling your Time Machine up so quickly? It only backs up new or changed content, so unless you're adding/changing gigs worth of stuff a week, it really shouldn't fill up *that* quickly?!

10. itsparks thread starter macrumors newbie

Pictures pictures pictures, PDF's documents and pictures LOL!