iPhoto backup - LOTS of pics

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pjginfl, Oct 21, 2014.

1. pjginfl macrumors newbie

I use iPhoto to manage my work and personal photos... and it works well. BUT... It's getting a little bogged down with 64k photos. Also, I have the BULK of my photos on 2012 mini with 1TB drive and backup to an external.

As mentioned in another post, that's really the only reason I have the Mini. There doesn't seem to be a cloud solution for this quantity of photos (one system quoted a year to upload). I'm really feeling post-external-drive... and the mini just seems like an extra "thing" to care for and feed.

What I would like - is to have just two machines. Main mbp and backup / smaller mba for the road / starbuck's / backup / etc. But the large photo file is the deal breaker.

Plus... I admit... I'm a data packrat. I have tens of thousands of archived emails... might also be an issue.

Any insight and suggestions will be most appreciated.

2. satcomer, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I would look at Synology because it many apps to tun in it including a great photo station. As a business I would look at a DS414Play. Get a blank one and fill it with Red Drives.

3. pjginfl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'll check those out.

Much appreciated. Some of the photos are business... some are personal.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It also has a free downloadable VPN sever in it that you could access from the outside also.