iPhoto Backup to NTFS drive empty

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ulumulu, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ulumulu macrumors newbie

Hey all you geeks out there, I'm hoping to get some help because I've somehow lost my iPhoto Library:

I have Lion 10.7.3 and iPhoto 9.2.1, for NTFS write access I used Paragon NTFS for Mac. The drive i was copying the iPhoto Library to was a Western Digital 500GB with NTFS Filesystem. I simply Copy&Pasted the whole library, and it were like 50.000 files (~75GB). I formatted my Mac Drive and did a fresh install, having the same version of Lion and iPhoto again, but when I'm accessing the folder on the external drive it's just empty. Also iPhoto or Aperture do not recognize the library. I installed the newest version of Paragon NTFS for Mac and I've also tried Tuxera and accessed the folder from Windows, but the folder is empty and has a size of 0 bytes. Anyway, the space for the library is still somehow allocated ...

Had anyone the same problem when backing up the iPhoto Library to an external NTFS drive or any ideas how to resolve it?

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you verify that the files existed on the external drive before you reformatted your internal? It's possible the paste wasn't finished or didn't happen at all, due to a permissions issue.
    Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report, Disk Inventory X or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on the drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.

You may want to re-index the drive, as well.

For backups of user files, rather than copy/paste or drag/drop, I recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner.

3. ulumulu thread starter macrumors newbie

heyho,
    thank you very much for your recommendations. The CCC is handy, I'll give it a chance for future backups ;) Thanks! Although the other programs are genius, I rather believe I need some data rescue software now, because today, when I wanted to transfer other big files from the drive to my mac, all folders were empty too. So I think it's a problem concerning the drive :(

I'm so glad about your help! If you or anyone else has a recommendation for data rescue software too, please let me know ;)