iPhoto backup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boynigel, Aug 6, 2009.

1. boynigel macrumors regular

can anyone out there tell me, step by step, the proper way to backup an iphoto library to an external hd, and then upload the pics/vids to another mac w/iphoto via that same external hd? i ask this because i recently tried this, but none of my video files that i had in iphoto transfered to the other computer. i'd just wind up with a fuzzy still photo of the first frame of the videos.:confused:

2. Galarina macrumors member

Galarina

If you just want to transfer some photos/videos to the other Mac, I would suggest to select the photos/videos in iPhoto and drag'n'drop them in a Finder folder of the external HD.
    On the second Mac, import them from the external HD by selecting the photos/videos on the external HD and drag'n'drop them on the iPhoto icon in the Dock.

3. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Don't want to sound like an ass, but 'proper' is a misnomer. I can give you a good way that might help you.

What I have done is put all my media- photos, iTunes etc- all on a drobo. I then point my computers at the drobo to access the various libraries.

That way all my media is centralised in a way that is accessible from all sorts of directions. My media is also backed up because of the data redundancy of the drobo. You can swap out the drobo and put and NAS alternative into the blank.

I find that to be an effective system. Let me know how it works.

4. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

that's pretty much what i did except there's no finder folder on my external hd. rather, i just created one for the iphoto contents.