Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Why is it when I view my photo's in iphoto some are blacked out ? If I dbl click on them they become visible and if I edit them and save they appear visible in the spot in iphoto where they came from . I have several like this . All photo's visible and blacked out are taken by the same camera .

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Do you have Tiger, Leopard, or Snow Leopard on your Mac, or some earlier version of Mac OS? In Leopard and Snow Leopard, the most likely cause is related to the preview method iPhoto uses: If the photo is formatted in a way Mac OS X's preview function doesn't understand, but it knows it's an image file, you'll get the generic black box. Editing it and saving is consistent with this hypothesis, since that operation will convert the image to something Mac OS X does understand. As for Tiger and earlier, this hypothesis fails to work due to Quick Look not being present.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
You can try to rebuild the thumbnail database. Hold :apple: + option while launching iPhoto, and choose the option to rebuild the thumbnails.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
iphot black image

I am using OS X 10.5.8 leopard and after some trial and error I have found that Dbl Clicking will bring up the image and if you do any editing and save the image it will show up in iphoto as visible . Thanks for the suggestions .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.