iPhoto blows away the competition!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by insomnie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. insomnie macrumors member

2. Mshilling macrumors regular

3. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

I personally love it. I was very impressed with all the features. I'm glad I didn't get the Photoshop app.

4. insomnie thread starter macrumors member

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

They really serve different purposes, but Photoshop Touch is just terrible because adobe is way to committed to Air.

But I like iPhoto on iOS even better than iPhoto on Mac.

I only wish that iOS had RAW image support, as right now it just edits the embedded jpeg image. If it could do that then I pretty much wouldn't need a computer for photography (Except for more complex edits that require photoshop, but for 95% of the photos I take.)

6. GoGa, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

GoGa macrumors regular

GoGa

As much as I love iPhoto for iOS, they really need to make this the default photo app. Currently when I edit a photo in iPhoto it only changes in iPhoto, the only way to get it in the photos app (to use the photo with other apps) is to save it to camera roll, which sucks and makes it kind of useless! Also they need to add syncing with iPhoto for OS X (iPhoto homesharing would be awesome). And they also need to add proper organisation, I can't currently make new albums or events unless I use the default photo app.

Also it would be killer if you could create & order photo books, calendars, cards ect.

7. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

I agree on making iPhoto the default photo app. I would even go as far to say raise the price $100 and make iLife and iWork standard on all iPads. Man, that reminds me of MS and the Mac back in the day. I'm hoping Adobe actually releases Photoshop for iPad that's a LOT like the Mac version. There's a huge market for that app and Adobe could be making a lot of money if they get to that market early enough.

8. insomnie thread starter macrumors member

I agree, I would love for them to replace the default Photo Stream with this. I believe its going to happen eventually.

9. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Agree that iPhoto for OS X integration is sorely lacking.

10. insomnie thread starter macrumors member

They will get it done. Just like they did with garage band.

11. GoGa macrumors regular

GoGa

Kind of off topic, but they need to add iCloud into the OS X version of GarageBand! It would be great to upload a song to iCloud on my iPad and continue editing it on my mac without having to use iTunes!

I am really hoping they will do so big updates in WWDC.

12. iTiki macrumors 6502

I'm hoping for Aperture (lite). Some way I can transfer RAW edited images from the iPad to my main Mac if I need to do more involved editing.

13. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Imagine it with the retina! Whoot! I can't install the app till next week but I already know it will house a couple gigs of my pictures.

14. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

This was the very first thing I thought of when I first learned about the iPad. After watching the keynote, I was thinking "How great would that thing be for mobile Aperture!" And then I went on to predict its modest sales numbers. Shows what I know :)

15. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

I have it now. And I'm disappointed. The one thing that the iPad lacks for its photos is a good way to orgnaize them. And it still lacks this. Why is this iPhoto for iPad not allowed to manage albums or events? That's so freaking annoying.

This is not a standalone application; it is a companion app for the desktop application. If you don't use and sync to OSX iPhoto, iPhoto for iPad is just yet another image editing app, and while a decent one, I didn't need another editing app. I was hoping it included the photo management aspect that I expect from iPhoto.

:mad:

16. Enrico macrumors 6502

Enrico

Unfortunately I have a Canon 5D2, which shoots well over the maximum supported 19mpixels :(

17. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

If I would have known about iphoto before Photo Shop Touch, I probably wouldnt have bought PST, but Im not trippin because PST has the one feature that Ive been looking for in a photo editing app. And thats the ability to delete the background or foregorund in a pic. Ive been waiting on that since editing apps came to the app store.

18. pavvento macrumors 6502

Can someone please clarify for me, I am getting my first iPad getting next week and also ordered the camera adapter. I envisioned loading photos onto the iPad, editing, labeling and organizing them in iPhoto and then connecting it to my Mac and have it sync with iPhoto on my Mac. Is that not possible?

19. DaveDaveDave macrumors member

It's actually a little easier than that - your iPhoto work on the iPad gets saved to your iCloud account (for free) and will automatically show up in iPhoto on your Mac. You won't have to do the "connecting" part, at least not with wires...

Congrats!

20. urkel macrumors 68030

I guess I'm asking too much, but my dream scenario would be to take all those tedious iPhoto/Aperture tasks like Face/Place/Keyword/Rating tagging and sync it to the iOS app.

The amount of metadata you can put into photos nowadays is amazing but nobody bothers because its so much work. But if you sync it down to the iOS version then you can sit on the couch and do all the tagging while watching TV and then sync it right back to the app when you're done.

21. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nope. You can export files to the Camera roll and import to iPhoto that way.

22. insomnie thread starter macrumors member

:D Awesome feedback so far. Who knew so many photographers here!

23. badpinoy macrumors regular

i wonder if you can use eyefi with iPhoto. It will be nice to show people the photos without stopping to show them from the camera.

24. insomnie thread starter macrumors member

They have a dedicated app for this. I am pretty sure this will work.

http://www.eye.fi/products/iphone

25. badpinoy macrumors regular

but would you be able to edit the photos form the eyefi app?