iPhoto book printing now in Australia!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maestrokev, Feb 7, 2008.

1. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

2. theq macrumors newbie

Apple printed photobooks and calendars now available in Australia and New Zealand

The following is an email from Apple Australia. Mac users down under have been waiting years to get the same features as U.S. citizens in Apple software. At least we can now order Photobooks through iPhoto:

Let's hope we can get movies in iTunes next.

3. chatoyer macrumors regular

And in NZ as well, which is sweet - have ordered a bunch of prints already.

4. maestrokev thread starter macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Which online places have you been using thus far to print? Love to hear how the iPhoto quality turns out. I've been using Snapfish Australia.

5. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

This is very groovy. Now at last I can get all those pics I have hidden on dvd's printed into books.

6. chatoyer macrumors regular

Actually haven't used any online service just yet - we've just been posting our photos to a website for rellies to view. Will let you know, though, re: Apple quality. I assume they've just contracted an outfit in Auckland to do it.

7. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

I live in Canada and I ordered my wedding albums from Apple after I designed them in iphoto and they looked great!

8. maestrokev thread starter macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I'm looking for feedback on the Aus/NZ printing. My iPhoto printing in Canada has always been fantastic but since Aus/NZ is new I want to make sure the quality is there before I place a large order.

9. LibbyT macrumors newbie

iPhoto book, printed size?

Before finalising my images for the book, I need to know the exact size of
    the pages in the printed book (11'' x 8.5", hardcover). Are the pages in
    the printed book this exact size, or at the recommended ratio of 4 x 3, which
    would give a full page image size of 11" x 8.25"? Also, is any of the
    image lost to the gutter between pages, or to trimming during the printing
    of the book?

How long is the turnaround time in Oz?

10. chatoyer macrumors regular

Apologies - could have posted this sooner. The prints from Apple NZ (or whomever they contract out to) were delivered about 8 or 9 days after I ordered them. For the most part, they're fine, but the overall quality has more to do with the camera than the printing, I would have thought. No basis of comparison in this case as we've not printed them elsewhere.

I think on a few photos I had cropped them in iPhoto before submitting, but when we got them they were cropped more than I had originally set. Hard to explain, and that's not a good explanation. More than likely something I did incorrectly.

11. maestrokev thread starter macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Anyone else used the AUS service and has printed in US/Canada before? I brought a photobook I printed in Canada (printed in US) and will order a photobook here next month. My NAmerican photobook was identical to the iPhoto layout and colours were extremely close so I'm hoping the AUS version will be the same after operating for a couple of months.

12. maestrokev thread starter macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Update

It turns out both Canadian and Australian iPhoto books are printed in Medford, Oregon.

I ordered 1 in each country to send to relatives. Both were shipped the next day following submission. The Australian one was 33% more expensive than the identical Canadian order. The Canadian order also shipped Fedex with tracking number while the Australian one was regular air mail.

The Canadian order took 1 week to arrive while the Australian order took 2 weeks to arrive.