iPhoto - can I have photos on ext. hard disk?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by petrucci666, Sep 21, 2011.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

petrucci666

I have a base 13" MBA and disk space is precious.

All of my photos are on an external hard disk but I like iPhoto as a photo management software. The thing is, when you import photos into iPhoto, it copies them onto a disk, which I want to avoid because I have some 30GB of photos.

Is there a way to see the photos in iPhoto when I plug in the external disk and then I can mess around with them?

I can do this in iTunes where I always see what songs I have but can't play them unless my external hard disk is plugged in.

Thanks!

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

You Could Use Preview

To view the photos....Create an event, let preview build the image window from your external hdd, then select which photos you want to edit.

My MBA is being delivered in the next couple of days, and I'm planning on doing something similar. 256 is not that much space when you consider that Lion grabs a chunk, and I need Office on it too.

I'm hanging on for top quality external SSD as I work with video and music files. My plan is to use the Air with my portable mixing desk, and Amplitube on my iPad.

I will only have one or two projects on the MBA at a time......using it at night and for field work.

Get a rough cut done on the air, then over to my iMac for final burning etc.

3. Oldandintheway macrumors member

I have an Aperture data base and an iPhoto data base on a plug in drive. If I double click on the external drive data base they open in the MBA. One better, if I plug in an external drive with iMovie events on it, they show up on the MBA too. It's not the same as just having the pictures on the external drive, I have the entire iPhoto library on the external hard drive.