iPhoto-cannot paste photos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ostrykolesz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. ostrykolesz macrumors member

I am an Apple newb. Only had my MacBook Pro for 5 days. I just copied 10000 photos on to my MacBook. Now I am trying to organise them. I cannot copy and paste between events. If I cut a photo it goes to trash. I searched Google, but no luck. Any ideas? I did try rebuilding my database. How am I supposed to move around a photo? I don't want to export hundreds of photos. Dragging and dropping works, but it's hard when you have so many photos.

PS-I am using Yosemite

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

A photo only appears in one place in iPhoto and that's the event it is in. You can move photos to different events or merge events. Albums are used to organize photos but don't actually hold the photo, only a reference to it. That way a single photo can appear in multiple albums without taking up additional space. You might have a photo in Xmas 2013, Mary pix, and Mike pix. Different subject material but the same photo may apply to all of them.

Check out the book "iPhoto, the Missing Manual" for a good reference and instruction on how to organize pictures with iPhoto.