iPhoto cloud backup..which service?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wannabelean, Apr 21, 2014.

1. wannabelean macrumors 6502

Which service did you choose and why? I have about 100GB and would like to back them up online other than an offline backup.

TIA

2. ricosuave macrumors 6502

ricosuave

I use Crashplan and am pretty happy with it. I am still disappointed Time Machine no longer operates within iPhoto.

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Keep this in mind - backing up 100GB of photos to an online backup service will hog your internet, and your ISP may have data caps.

A number of well known photographers (Moose Peterson, Chase Jarvis) use multiple backup drives and always keep one offsite.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I use Crashplan. Works well but first backups are a pain. Took over a week to backup both our Macs. As mentioned you do have to watch out for ISP data caps.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Dump question, why not use a portable hard drive that you can take off site, doesn't that do the same thing and isn't a pain or being slow?

6. evilpaddy macrumors regular

That's what I do.
    Backup docs to a cloud service but all meatier data goes on a TB drive which goes offsite

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Have to have a place take it regularly. As we're retired and on the road half time in our motorhome (soon to be full time) I don't have a good off site location. Used to keep backups at the office but that's no longer an option.

Another advantage is access. I can restore a word file from Crashplan to a Windows machine if that's my only option. Hard to read that time machine hfs+ drive of other systems. I can also move some files to my iPad.

Last is automation. Crashplan works automatically. Swapping drives requires manual actions. Based on a lot of posts from people that forgot to do backups, I like automatic. "A man's got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry