iphoto confusion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rottielover, Sep 1, 2008.

1. rottielover macrumors newbie

rottielover

I think I messed up my iphoto folders. I recently got photoshop and was moving around files (photoshop saves them in weird places). I think I accidentally moved my "originals" folder...is it supposed to be inside the Iphoto folder? If so, how do I get it back in?

Some of my pics in iphoto show up as exclamation marks...I think this is why...

Any help would be appreciated! I am new to macs :)

2. MurphyM macrumors 6502

If you have another copy of your originals and you haven't done much work with tagging, etc, you might want to start over.

The iPhoto library isn't a regular folder. You can right click it and select Show Package Contents to see what is in there. Maybe you can put stuff back that way.

If you are going to be using Photoshop to access your iPhoto stuff you might prefer the option to have iPhoto leave your originals in a folder structure that YOU create instead of having iPhoto copy your stuff to its folder structure. It's an option in the preferences.

3. dimme macrumors 65816

If you use iphoto and photshop you may want to export the photo you are working on first. Photoshop only saves files where you tell it to save. You will need to import your photo again to iphoto

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Actually, in the iPhoto preferences, you can set Photoshop to be your external editor, and then when you edit and save, the photo will be put right back where it belongs.

Yes, moving your Original folder is what caused you problems. Stay out of the finder and you will be better (once you get this current issue fixed). Manipulating files in the library in finder will render iPhoto unable to access the photos, so best to just leave that library alone. Do anything to/with your photos from within the app itself.

5. rottielover thread starter macrumors newbie

rottielover

Thanks for your help! I posted this almost a month ago so I was a little surprised when I got your replies! What I ended up doing was moving my originals folder to my desktop...deleted all photos in iphoto, then re-imported them from my desktop folder. Once that was done I erased my desktop folder.

I also set photoshop to be my editor instead of the iphoto editor. Now when I save my changes it replaces the original photo in iphoto. :)