iPhoto crashed and I am LOST please help me

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TrishS, Mar 11, 2010.

1. TrishS macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I am absolutely new to Apple Computers, but not computer illiterate. I am brand new to this forum also.

Here's my dilemna. I bought a new MacBook Pro in August '09 and was just in awe of it. I wish I would have been able to get one sooner! It was worth the wait....that was.....UNTIL my iPhoto crashed :eek: , and much to my horror took my whole life with it. :( Now, I did find my pics somehow, thank gosh, in something called "Memeo Backups?. I also do regular backups....well, every 2 weeks.

Now, if I do a spotlight search of iPhoto, I can find different things about it but don't know what to do.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me how I can get rid of anything I need to, and then IF I am able to somehow re-install it and have it work right again? I cannot tell you how thankful I would be for that. :) I put SO MUCH WORK in to iPhoto, rearranging things, doing the face recognition, etc., and to think I wasted that time just to have it CRASH on me gets me so angry :mad: and upset at the same time.

So, any help that anyone might be able to give me, I would be so so thankful. I saved up for so long to be able to get this laptop, and I DO love it, but am not happy with iPhoto taking a dump on me. I really didn't expect anything like that to happen to such a new computer.

Thank you in advance, and have a wonderful day.
    Trish :D

ADDENDUM: I do regular backups on a separate hard drive using Time Machine. I'm sorry, I should have included that in the beginning. Does that by any chance make anything easier for me? Thank you so so much, I am really appreciative!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Welcome.

The iPhoto Library file is located under Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Pictures / iPhoto.
    Is it gone from there?

How do you back-up?

And what is this "Memeo" thing, have you installed it yourself?

And how did iPhoto crash?

If the iPhoto Library file is somehow damaged and you can't open it via iPhoto, try to right click on it and select SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS.

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

Memeo Backup is shareware backup software. Personally, I would have stayed with either Time Machine or SuperDuper and clone to a separate hard drive.

I can't say I've ever had a program on a Mac crash and prevent access, but I suppose it's possible. The only problem I ever had was trying to open an iPhoto library with an old version of iPhoto.

If I were you, I'd save that iPhoto library described above in User -> Pictures, then reinstall iPhoto, then drag the old library back, making sure the versions between application and library were the same.

I'd also consider a different backup scheme as I described above. In that case, the whole restore thing is simple drag and drop.

4. TrishS thread starter macrumors newbie

Addendum

I amended my original post to include what I did leave out. I use Time Machine to do back ups on a separate hard drive. I am sorry I left that out in the beginning.

I can't thank you enough for trying to help me, it means a lot. Thank you so much for your time.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What about the other points in my first post?

Can you look into the iPhoto Library file?

Was your last TM backup the same time you mentioned already?

6. Hmac macrumors 68020

Why do you have Memeo on your machine? By comparison to Time Machine, SuperDuper, or Carbon Copy Cloner, Memeo is kind of obscure, wonky software. I'd get rid of that straight away if you're already using Time Machine.

7. TrishS thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi. My apologies for seeming as though I "disappeared", but I have MS and have had issues that landed me in the hospital for treatment.

I will try to answer the rest of the questions as best I can, if anyone might still be interested in trying to help me. Here is what I have:

1. The iPhoto Library seems to be gone all together. Whether that was machine or me-made when trying to reinstall I'm not sure. I search iPhoto and don't come up with much but the Memeo backup which is on the computer. It appears that this backs things up automatically, and once it get my pictures off of it, I will remove it (try to anyway, lol)

2. The hard drive that I back up onto I believe put the Memeo on my machine, it is something WD Anywhere Backup. I believe it came with the hard drive. Now I'm not sure if I use TM or not, I think I just plug the hard drive in and WD Anywhere takes over. As I said, I had no clue, I thought that's how it was supposed to work.

3. The iPhoto crash (I just figured it was a crash) was when I tried to bring iPhoto up, the little spin-wheel would spin forever, and I'd get stuck, couldn't do anything else so would have to force-quit. Every time. Once I did find the pics, I tried to remove iPhoto all together. I think I did now. So I don't know if I should try to reload or not. :confused:

My last back-up was probably 2 weeks ago, coming due soon. So yes, it has been backed up since iPhoto stopped working.

I hope this helps. Thank you for any input, and yes, once I get this straightened out, I will definitely remove that memeo thing. But I am thankful because it "saved" my pictures. =0)