iPhoto crashes when printing on Epson 3880

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DenisK, Feb 6, 2011.

1. DenisK macrumors member

SO, I have the latest version of the shame called iPhoto, got a new printer, Epson 3880 (a fairly serious photo printer), tried to print, and boom: iPhoto just crashes when i hit print, every single time. I have the latest small iMac with 12 gigs of ram, latest updates of Sno Leo, AND the printing works like a charm off LR3 installed on the same machine. So, what am I to do, besides just throwing the crappiest of the crap application called iPhoto out and forever?

Not a day passes by without reminding me that the day that i went to apple store and handed out $79 for a family version of iLife 11 was the day when I did the most stupid thing in my life.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you export an image from iPhoto to the Desktop and open it in Preview and print, what happens? Also, do you know of any plug-ins you had installed with iPhoto '09 that may need updates for iPhoto '11?

3. DenisK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. Well, I have not tried Preview, but LightRoom 3 sees the printer and prints no problem. So, connectivity and communication with the printer is OK.
    As far as iPhoto, i do not recall getting any plug-ins for it, ever. I just followed the typical Software Updates, installed nothing else, so it should be as stock as it gets. When it crashes now I get a lengthy report, but nothing jumps at me as a possible reason. I am going to try unplugging various other things off my iMac (external screen, another printer, etc) to see if things change...

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I doubt it has to do with any connected peripherals. If you are running iPhoto 9.1.1, and have up-to-date printer drivers, you may want to call up AppleCare so they can poke around a bit. If you want to take additional steps on your own, I would start by exporting out a subset of your library to a folder on your Desktop, launching iPhoto holding option to create a new temporary library, and importing the folder to the new library and trying to print. Or import into that new temporary library something from /Library/Desktop Pictures and trying to print. Next step if iPhoto still quits would be to test in another user account. If it quits there then we're looking at reinstalling iPhoto from scratch and I can tell you the files and folders you'll likely need to remove. This will not affect your library or the pictures within. If reinstalling and re-updating doesn't fix, it's likely up to Apple to fix it.