iPhoto crashing each time I import

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smirk, Jun 9, 2014.

1. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Hi, I've been helping a friend with her computer and could use some advice. Her iPhone (iOS 7) completely filled up with photos and iMessages and became almost unusable. Coincidentally, her MacBook also filled up -- when I got there, there were 120 MB of free disk space. I moved 30 GB of files to an external drive to free up space, but her phone was too full to work with. So we used Image Capture to pull some large videos off the phone and rebooted the phone. Ok, now the phone was working fine.

When I went to import photos from her phone to iPhoto, however, iPhoto crashed as soon as it started to actually import. It showed the thumbnails, let you select from them, but when it started to import it crashed. Every time. Importing from another iPhone works and importing from a Canon camera also works.

I'm not sure how to proceed. We can try downloading every photo and video using Image Capture and then import those into iPhoto, but I'm wondering if something got corrupted on the iPhone -- and, if so, how to fix it short of erasing the phone.

Any ideas?

A little extra detail: It's an older MacBook running an older version of iPhoto (I was wondering if maybe upgrading to the latest version would help). Also, iPhoto didn't detect already-imported photos when it imported from the phone that worked, so perhaps the low disk space on the MacBook has resulted in some corruption of the iPhoto library?

Thanks!

2. HappyJun macrumors newbie

Try using another account

Hi! Could you please try logging-in to another account then import from there. If it didn't crash then your account is the problem. You may try to rebuild your iPhoto library, but backup first: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2638

hope this helps.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

How old is this MacBook. Run Software Update to bring her to the latest version of iPhoto appropriate for her computer.