iPhoto 'Credit Card ONLY' Rant.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gav, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Gav macrumors regular

I've began to love iPhoto. I've just gone digital (lol) and started using a digital camera, and iPhoto. Its a pretty neat product, and VERY easy to use. I want to use the built in Kodak service for ordering photos. But to my dismay, I found that the service only accepts credit cards, and not debit cards. I found this strange as iTunes DOES accept debit cards, but iPhoto doesn't.

Hope its something Apple will sort soon, because no way on this earth am I filling in a single credit card application form. Especially not for Apple!

2. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

Have you actually tried to run your debit card through? Most places if you're using a debit card, it doesn't matter if they run it as credit or debit. And why so anti-credit card? You can have a credit card without having debt.

3. Gav thread starter macrumors regular

:)

I tried running it through as a MasterCard, Visa and Diners (the only three there), none of which worked.

Also, I'm anti credit-card because of bad past experiences with regard to certain credit card companies data policies. :)

I have a basic bank account, linked to a debit card. The bank account has no overdraft limit, and isn't used for anything else other than for the debit card.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

I would NEVER EVER EVER use a debit card online (or anywhere the debit card is out of your sight for that matter)! Most financial institutions do not provide any kind of protection on a debit card - if a charge shows up, it comes right straight out of your bank account and you can never get it back (however, some do, so check). Credit cards usually have ways to dispute a charge.

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Is the issue with the issuing bank or with the overarching credit company? You can get check cards that bear the credit logo, permitting acceptance anywhere a credit card is accepted (with some exceptions). That would make things a little easier, or no?

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Sounds like this is just a straight debit card, not a visa debit card. If this is the case, ask you bank about upgrading to a visa debit card. It allows you to use your debit card anywhere a credit is accepted, but still functions exactly like a debit card. I don't know how the visa logo on the card affects you has access to your data, since that seems to be a concern for you. But its pretty standard practice in a lot of places to accept only credit or visa debit cards, not standard debit cards.

7. artalliance macrumors 6502

Slighty off-topic Reality check:

Unless you are paying cash, without a credit history of at least 2 lines of credit, it will be almost impossible to qualify for car loans and mortgages.
    Therefore, better start early without going into debt. I know, it takes some discipline.