Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pathumx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
When you rebuild the iphoto library, one of the options is "rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup"

is there a way to force this backup? I've been trying to copy over a lot of images from one library to another using iPhoto library manager and my iPhoto will crash in the middle of it. And then half the time i'll have to rebuild the library from the backup, so i've never been able to finish copying over.

is there a way to force iPhoto to make a new backup so that I can make incremental restores so i can transfer all my photos over?

or can I use time machine for this? my understanding is that it would just recopy back my entire 500 GB library, wouldn't it? which would take more time than i would want it to.

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
If I've understood correctly, rebuilding the library isn't about the photos per se, but something you'd want to do if the library is corrupted/unreadable. See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2638 for more info.

If you back up with time machine, then yes, you will get the incremental changes stored like you want. It'll save all 500gb the first time, but from then on save the changes/new ones.

pathumx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
If I've understood correctly, rebuilding the library isn't about the photos per se, but something you'd want to do if the library is corrupted/unreadable. See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2638 for more info.

If you back up with time machine, then yes, you will get the incremental changes stored like you want. It'll save all 500gb the first time, but from then on save the changes/new ones.

when i'm transferring the images, sometimes my computer locks up and then i have to force shut down with the powerbutton. about half the time, it makes the library corrupted/unreadable.

which file would i restore from time machine to get the database back? i don't want to have it restore the entire iPhoto library file. I remember I broke my iTunes music folder once, and it restored the entire thing instead of just the parts i was missing.

----------

what i'm mainly asking about is this section of that link you provided.

In iPhoto '09, select the option to "rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup" if iPhoto unexpectedly quits when opened or does not get past loading photos. This option is similar to the option to "Rebuild the iPhoto Library database" in iPhoto '08, except that it has the added ability to regenerate a database from an automatically backed up library database. Also, after rebuilding your library database using this option, your original database files can be found in the "Before Restore" folder inside the library package.

I bolded the parts i'm interested in. I don't think this is a function of Time Machine, I think iPhoto makes these backups. How often does iPhoto do this and is there a way I can either force it to do so, or make a manual backup myself (through time machine or otherwise).

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
when i'm transferring the images, sometimes my computer locks up and then i have to force shut down with the powerbutton. about half the time, it makes the library corrupted/unreadable.

which file would i restore from time machine to get the database back? i don't want to have it restore the entire iPhoto library file. I remember I broke my iTunes music folder once, and it restored the entire thing instead of just the parts i was missing.

----------

what i'm mainly asking about is this section of that link you provided.

In iPhoto '09, select the option to "rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup" if iPhoto unexpectedly quits when opened or does not get past loading photos. This option is similar to the option to "Rebuild the iPhoto Library database" in iPhoto '08, except that it has the added ability to regenerate a database from an automatically backed up library database. Also, after rebuilding your library database using this option, your original database files can be found in the "Before Restore" folder inside the library package.

I bolded the parts i'm interested in. I don't think this is a function of Time Machine, I think iPhoto makes these backups. How often does iPhoto do this and is there a way I can either force it to do so, or make a manual backup myself (through time machine or otherwise).

Ah, I get what you're asking now. I was unable to find a way to force automatic backups, but perhaps others are more knowledgeable about these things? Sorry... :eek:

With time machine, if you have it connected, depending on your settings, it backs up everything each hour. Then you can access your backups by File>Browse backups within iPhoto, and you can restore files. It's fairly intuitive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.