Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

txa1265

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Perhaps I am missing something, but I have as yet to find a way to set my default export directory. Since installing Lion and the iPhoto update, whenever I want to export it wants to put the image in 'Pictures', but I want 'Desktop' generally or somewhere else.

Have I just missed something obvious?

Thanks!

lightwavejunkie

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Some things that might help

----------

Perhaps I am missing something, but I have as yet to find a way to set my default export directory. Since installing Lion and the iPhoto update, whenever I want to export it wants to put the image in 'Pictures', but I want 'Desktop' generally or somewhere else.

Thanks!
Your iPhoto library is always stored n the pictures folder. This also stores the revisions of files as you change them, but also the original.

You can get to the files by right clicking on the "iPhoto Library" file and choose "show package contents"

You can make copies of these files elsewhere but as far as I'm aware there is no way to permanently move the library file.

In the preferences for iPhoto though there is a section under "Advanced" section to uncheck "Store photos in library file when importing" or something similar.

That way with the option unchecked you could import the files from any location and the originals will stay where they were imported from.

Hope that helps
:apple:

txa1265

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Hope that helps
:apple:

Thanks for the tips ... but none of them are related to EXPORT of files.

I am all set with library and import location. In fact, Import is smart enough to remember where I import my stuff FROM - namely, the desktop.

But once I have edited files and want to export them, the default jumps back to Pictures.

Again, this is NEW and CHANGED behavior with the latest release to coincide with iOS 5 ...

I just want it to remember my default from export to export ... heck, it even changes within the same session!

mastadonarmy

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011

Thanks!

A quick work around is to move your iPhoto a little to the side and expose your desktop. Then drag the photo from iPhoto over to the desktop. The file size (in my limited research) is a medium size only, no matter your previous exporting behavior. And by doing this you bypass all the choices on the export menu like File Type, File Size, Webpage, etc. It's a quick sloppy answer to something that Apple should address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.