iPhoto...Did i do something bad ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Recently my iPhoto seemed to be slowing everything up every time i opened it.
    Soooo ! I went into my iphoto library and manually " cleaned" it up by dragging a whole bunch of empty files to the trash. Plus quite a few Data files that didn't seem to be relevant to anything and seemed to
    be in the wrong places.... Bref! Now everything "seems" to work fine and I don't think I lost any photos plus it works normally again....
    Was I just lucky, as I just read that one shouldn't "go into" the iPhoto library.
    2nd question: For some obscure reason for the past year it has only been saving stuff to my ext. F/W hard drive... For back up purposes could I "just" make copys of the recent files then drag them to my int.-HD and Cloned HD ext F/W libarys.. Or is it more complicated than that. The few times i've tried renaming the library or using an alias it's been a complete disaster....? My OS: is 10.3.9 on an old G3 and the iPhoto app is 2.0.1.
    Thanks in advance for any info

2. tv1980 macrumors newbie

3. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Great ! thats just the sort of answer I was looking for.

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

If your iPhoto app is acting correctly, and you are not getting gray images with question marks, you are EXTREMELY lucky! Deleting things from the library in finder is a sure way to corrupt your iPhoto app. Please, don't do that again! For your sake and the sake of your photos. If you want to delete photos, use the trash can in the iPhoto app, then enpty the trash. That will delete them from your computer.

Dragging photos into and out of your iPhoto library is not a good idea, either. The app does not like that. If you want to "merge" two libraries, I would suggest something like iPhoto Library Manager that has the function build in. Works quite well.