iPhoto doesn't know it's own version?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aTaxia, Sep 27, 2009.

1. aTaxia macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

Some days ago I created a local network for my friend to use, and while he was on his own mac but in my files he went into my photos in iPhoto library and the images automatically popped up in his iPhoto which is '09, and here's the thing. My iPhoto is '08 and now when i try to open it, it says: "You can not open the specific photo library with this version of iPhoto
    You have made changes in the photo library with a newer version of iPhoto. End, and use the newest version of iPhoto." (Translated from Danish)

So I'm really lost here, and I was hoping that you could help me.

Patrick

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you have iPhoto 08, and share the database with a friend who opens it with iPhoto 09, then iPhoto 09 will make changes to the database such that iPhoto 08 will no longer be able to open it. This is normal behavior; once you go forward previous versions often will not be able to access the database. I would expect smilar results from iTunes.

3. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Garageband 08 acts the same way with Garageband 09 files. Its frustrating that apple doesnt give a crap about backward compatible file formats, but i guess they have to convince you to buy the new version somehow.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I think the same situation applies to Microsoft. If you update a document created with, for example, something like Microsoft word 2007 (or whatever) and then try to open it with Word 2005 (or a prior version), it may not work. However, Word 2007 would have no problem reading word 2005.

I would think backward compat would mean something from a previous version will work in a newer version.