iPhoto - Doesn't Open .mov files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by InvalidUserID, Aug 31, 2009.

1. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Didn't it used to be able to? Just double click a .mov file and it would open?

Tried to double-click some .mov files, doesn't open. Copy and paste to desktop and open from there, it works.

Eh?

2. mark2288 macrumors regular

I thought when you open a movie on iPhoto it launches QuickTime to play it. Is QuickTime installed and working on your computer?

3. InvalidUserID thread starter macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Yes, QuickTime (10.0) is installed and plays movies fine.

I just upgraded to SL, if that makes any difference. I think maybe the update in QuickTime Player might have something to do with it?

4. Tearabite macrumors regular

Tearabite

The exact same thing happened to me when i did my SL upgrade. Were you able to find a fix?

5. devburke Guest

I have iPhoto ’08, and since upgrading to SL, it no longer does anything when I try to open videos from iPhoto. I think it’s just an incompatibility that will likely never get fixed, as Apple’s moved onto ’09 and probably ’10.

6. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

See if you have an update to iPhoto. I installed SL on a new hdd and then installed iLife/iPhoto 09 and the movies wouldn't play. I'd double click them and nothing would happen. Then I searched for software updates and there was a bunch of them, as was expected, and iPhoto started playing them fine. Quicktime pops up and plays the movies.

7. devburke Guest

I guess this just proves that the fix isn’t coming for ’08.

8. Tearabite macrumors regular

Tearabite

Turns out that QTPlayer 7 was not installed (not in the Utlities folder).. Went through the SL Optional Install PKG, added QT7, and now .MOV files play fine from iPhoto 08 .. :D

9. saabsonic macrumors newbie

iPhoto not opening .mov files...

Thanks to Tearabite for this solution...

Since installing SL iPhoto wouldn't open movies taken with my iPhone. I just used the Optional Installs to re-install QT7 and all is well again!