Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
Hey all. I'm wondering if you could help me with this. My friend has a quicksilver 933 and a sony mavica digital camera. When the camera is plugged in via USB, iPhoto does not recognize it so se cant import pictures. I don't know what the problem would be. It had worked before she had Jaguar on there. Any have any clues? Thanks.

Anh

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
My friend's Sony Mavica has never worked with iPhoto, or OS X for that matter. He has to go into OS 9 and use the software provided from Sony to download his pictures. That's one reason I didn't buy a Sony digital camera. My Canon S200 works great, and I've never had a problem with it. Hopefully, in the future, Sony will make more Mac compatible products.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
yeah the sony's are supposed to be one of the least mac friendly camera's. If it ever worked with iPhoto you're very lucky.

As far as trouble shooting goes.... plug the camera in, then turn the camera power on, and make sure its not in picture taking mode. Most camera's have to be in the view mode to upload.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by RBMaraman
My friend's Sony Mavica has never worked with iPhoto, or OS X for that matter. He has to go into OS 9 and use the software provided from Sony to download his pictures. That's one reason I didn't buy a Sony digital camera. My Canon S200 works great, and I've never had a problem with it. Hopefully, in the future, Sony will make more Mac compatible products.

I am using a SONY DCS-S75 and it works like a charm (in OSX 10.2.1) - Both in PTP mode and as a "Hard Drive" showing up on the desktop. When you say Mavica, is that the one where it records onto a floppy or CDR? Or is it MemoryStick?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Unsanity Haxies Break iPhoto

At least for me (and many others, see the Apple support discussions). Try removing all of the Haxies (FruitMenu, WindowShade X and the Application Enhancer thing), or see if there are any new versions. I did this and it instantly fixed by connection to my Powershot S10.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by zarathustra

I am using a SONY DCS-S75 and it works like a charm (in OSX 10.2.1) - Both in PTP mode and as a "Hard Drive" showing up on the desktop. When you say Mavica, is that the one where it records onto a floppy or CDR? Or is it MemoryStick?

If has a floppy drive and a memory stick slot.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
the mavica my friend has uses mini-cds. It's a very nice camera. For some reaosn, it just doens't work on her QS. it works fine on my powerbook. :confused:

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by chibianh
the mavica my friend has uses mini-cds. It's a very nice camera. For some reaosn, it just doens't work on her QS. it works fine on my powerbook. :confused:

That's the problem with Sony cameras. They work fine on one Mac, and not at all on another. Even though Apple says they are compatible, they may not be. I love my Canon. I thought about a Sony, but it's all about them. You have to use the Sony batteries, the Sony Memory Sticks, the Sony accessories. They're a very greedy company. Though, I do admit, they make the best televisions and stereo equipment.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by RBMaraman

That's the problem with Sony cameras. They work fine on one Mac, and not at all on another. Even though Apple says they are compatible, they may not be. I love my Canon. I thought about a Sony, but it's all about them. You have to use the Sony batteries, the Sony Memory Sticks, the Sony accessories. They're a very greedy company. Though, I do admit, they make the best televisions and stereo equipment.

Sony has a monopoly over the technology field. They make everything and mostly everything is made very well. I decided that it's worthless to fight against them and just gave in to them, mostly becuase of their memory sticks and how much smaller they are then other flash media. And with a 4GB limit for the fuure im not worried about space issues. Prett soon all computers will come with built in flash card readers and im sure sony's memory stick will be included. (lexar also makes memory sticks that work with all sony products, and they cost less)

I have a TRV-27 sony digital camcorder and the 4MP DSC-85 digital camera and they both take the same sony rechargable battery and same memory stick slots. So what ever accesory i buy for one, just helps out the other product. In my eyes that a great thing. Go Sony!!!

tyler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.