iPhoto doesn't recognize iP4 pictures?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by drgrafix, Aug 24, 2010.

1. drgrafix macrumors regular

I plug my iP4 in and it shows up on the iMac as a device. I go to iPhoto to suck the latest pix off and I get a popup telling me it doesn't recognize the format which is JPG? What am I doing wrong? These are just stills.

BTW, can I import movies using iPhoto or do I have to use something else?

2. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

When you open iPhoto, iPhoto should detect your phone and you should have an "Import All" option. This would include videos shot on your phone. It will then ask you if you want to delete the photos from your phone or keep them.

Not sure why you're getting an error. Does iPhoto recognize the phone? What do you mean by the iMac detects it as a device?

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I've had iPhoto tell me it didn't recognize a jpeg on a different occasion. I opened the picture in preview and saved it as a .png, and the import worked fine. I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that for your iPhone.

You can import movies from your iPhone using iPhoto.

4. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Yes, .png is the usual import format. I don't even know if you can save .jpegs on your phone as a straight download.

5. drgrafix thread starter macrumors regular

A pop-up box appears with a list of all the pictures selected (I have 700+ pictures and don't want/need to import all of them) which was like... 10? They are numbered in typical format an alphanumeric code ending in ".jpg" and there's no option to convert them to png. No matter what I click, none of the pictures are imported.

I keep thinking that somebody needs to develop an APP that allows you to plug the iPhone cable into _any_ computer and then it would allow you to export any number of pictures/movies to the host computer's HDD or even a flash drive that is also plugged into the computer.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I had this happen and restarted my iPhone and restarted my Mac. Import worked fine after that.

7. drgrafix thread starter macrumors regular

I think that worked for me, but its a nuisance if this is some sort of re-occuring problem. An even bigger problem is the emailing mis-oriented pictures. Its driving everyone in my family nuts and they are saying "See... the iP4 is a flawed product". I hope Apple fixes this soon.