iPhoto dramatically slowing down

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samus45281, Dec 12, 2007.

1. samus45281 macrumors newbie

I have a 2.2 GHz Intel 2 GB Mac Book Pro running OS 10.5.1
    Have a relatively small iPhoto Library of 1800 photographs. Whenever I start iPhoto it can take up to 15 minutes of looking at the busy icon (rotating beachball). Have tried creating a new blank library but even with a blank library it takes a long time to start and do anything with it.

Has anyone any advise or experienced this problem?
    Thank you for your assistance

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Is your system running out of available RAM? How much free hard disk space do you have? How many applications do you normally have running? What version of iPhoto?

3. samus45281 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 120gbb hard drive with 63.69gigabytes available. Generally have iPhoto running alone. Have iLiife '08 Version 7.1.1

Also ran a diskcheck utility to make sure it wasn't due to a hard drive problem and disk verified okay

4. twetmore macrumors newbie

Samus,

I had this same problem on my desktop (PowerMac Dual G5) and "fixed" it by disabling photo sharing in the (Sharing) Preferences.

You might try disabling the sharing options ("Share my photos" or "Look for shared photos"). If I disable EITHER of those options, my iPhoto has no problems on startup.

I am not sure why photo sharing is a problem on my machine, though. I actually do not have any problems on my laptop (iBook G4), only on the desktop. Weird.

-Tony

5. samus45281 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for the above, it worked a treat. Very grateful for your assistance