iPhoto duplicates my photos!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by easports5001, Aug 26, 2007.

1. easports5001 macrumors newbie

When I import my pictures to iphoto it duplicates them and saves them in another folder that is not in "Pictures" folder. Is there a way to disable the duplication?

2. askywalker macrumors regular

prefs|advanced|Copy Items to the iPhoto Library

3. SuperDaddy macrumors member

I'd like to know the same thing. Also, is this "duplication" taking up twice as much hard drive space?

4. askywalker macrumors regular

Yes, unless you delete the 'originals'. Think of adding photos manually to iPhoto similar to adding it off a memory card - you would typically add them, then delete them from the card. If someone emails you photos (or you otherwise get them and want them in iPhoto), you can delete them from their original location once they are in iPhoto.

I just got Photoshop, and am considering switching to Bridge to handle my Photo Management, although I have to admit I really like iPhoto's interface - and simplicity with .Mac. But it uses too much hard drive space on this tiny little 160gb drive.

5. SuperDaddy macrumors member

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Follow up question, if I have two seperate Users on my Mac, and we have the same photo collection in each of our own iPhoto programs, then they are taking up twice the wmount of space as well?

6. easports5001 thread starter macrumors newbie

I unchecked the "import to library" function, but then the pictures i add STILL appear in "rolls" and are thus imported! Why is this happening, is there something else i did not do?

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I've never actually tried this, but I think it can work like iTunes - define the library location of iPhoto for both users as the same location (would need to be in the Shared user folder). I think that will allow both users to use the same library without doubling the disk space used. The only concern might be permissions issues (if one user imports, the other may not be able to modify those photos). Not sure, though.

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

They're imported, but not duplicated.

9. easports5001 thread starter macrumors newbie

But my point is there are still two versions of the same file, which means it's taking up unnecessary space. I guess there isn't a way for iPhoto to not "duplicate" the imported photos. By the way, iTunes has the same type of function but it works.

10. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

If you've unchecked "add imported files to iPhoto library," then it will NOT duplicate the photo. Where are you seeing the duplicate, anyway? Don't muck about with the iPhoto library in Finder, it's only asking for trouble.

If you are editing the photo, then it will create a duplicate of the photo with the edits.

11. easports5001 thread starter macrumors newbie

another thing i noticed is that the pictures that are imported into iphoto are of lower quality then those of the original un-imported pictures. I used "get info" on the original and the ones imported(finder folder) and the KB is significantly different!

12. Bigtree macrumors 6502

It does not duplicate them! It is nothing but a data base that provides a thumbnail for viewing. That is why it's important to delete and empty the trash within the program (or data-base).

My question is if your drag a pic to the Photoshop icon, on the dock, and make changes to it, does the original stay unchanged?