iPhoto duplicates removal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kutchin, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Kutchin macrumors newbie

Need to remove duplicates from iphoto Libraries is there anything out there to help?

2. TDIDawg macrumors newbie

3. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Just make sure you are deleting exact duplicates. If you are looking in the iPhoto library in finder, you are seeing "originals", "modified" and "data" or "thumbs". DO NOT DELETE ANY OF THESE! Stay out of the library in finder and work only in iPhoto app (if you want to use iPhoto at all). If you disturb any of the photos in the library, iPhoto will not be able to work for you.

Now, if you actually have duplicate photos that you see when you are working in the app itself, then Duplicate Annihilator may well be what you want (I have not used it, so can't attest one way or the other).

Just stay out of the finder!

4. reubs macrumors 68000

If the OP is using the latest version of iPhoto I don't think there's any way to access the photos via Finder, is there?

I wish there was simply a menu option in iPhoto for detecting and deleting duplicates, but I guess it's not there.

ETA: N/m. You can get at the originals via "Show Package Contents".

5. Kutchin thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it. Estimated time was 2:00:27:15. Read it as 2hr. Must be 2days. Now 00:09:21:03 I am happy. So far 27827 dups found. I'll let you know. It runs in the background.