iPhoto error message freaking me out

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MaryJanice, Apr 11, 2013.

1. MaryJanice macrumors newbie

Hello - I've not asked a question before, bear with me -

I am getting a message in iPhoto that says:

"The photo library needs to be upgraded to work with this version of iPhoto."

Then below it says:

"Your photo library will not be readable by previous versions of iPhoto after the upgrade. The upgrade process for very large libraries may take an hour or more to complete." Talk about causing panic!

I have Leopard v.10.6.8 on my Mac, and have the latest version of iPhoto for my OS X operating system, confirmed with Apple yesterday. They have no clue as to why I'm receiving this message.

I joined a cloud based backup program on Monday, JustCloud, and I think that process is what is causing havoc with my iPhoto.

I'm completely paranoid about choosing the "upgrade" selection in the error message. I have 14,000 photos in my library, I am freaking out. I've had multiple emails with the "JustCloud" people, and they are clueless.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Can I somehow restore, or make sure I don't lose my library, using Timemachine? I am practically illiterate, Mac-wise, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Did you just update iPhoto... or where you using this library with the current version of iPhoto. If iPhoto was updated... then it is common to require an update to your library.

You could choose to attach an external drive, copy your library to it... just for safekeeping... and then perform the update to your existing library.

Generally... I've always updated my libraries when getting the similar message... never with any problems. However... realize that once you upgrade your library... you cannot use it with older versions of iPhoto on other machines. That is never a problem for me. I keep all of my machines current.

/Jim

3. MaryJanice thread starter macrumors newbie

Jim,

Thank you for your response; I didn't update iPhoto, I've got the most current version for the OS X operating system I'm using. I really think the issue has something to do with my attempt to backup my stuff in JustCloud.

So I do have an external drive that Timemachine is linked to, do you think I could choose a day prior to this issue occurring and "restore" iPhoto? I've not used Timemachine before, don't know what to expect.

-Mary

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Mary,

You should be able to do that with Time Machine. However... I would not want to overwrite the current library. That is why I recommended that you copy it to an external drive. Do you have a second drive?

/Jim