iPhoto - Event dates and management

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ShowMetheMac, Jul 9, 2009.

1. ShowMetheMac macrumors newbie

Hi Macusers! just made my first apple purchase in my life and I am loving my macbook.....

I just have some questions about the iPhoto application and thought this forum would be the best to ask.

-I have thousands of photos and I have sorted them by year and then by months. With my old laptop, it had a bug of reseting the date back to 2002. I did not care because no adware or virus was found, and I manually managed my photos in windows. But when I got my macbook and imported them to iPhoto as an event, the date showed Jan. 30 2002 instead of the actual date the photo was taken. Is there any way that I could change this?

-iPhoto seems to create an event for every single folder(even the subfolders). Is there a way that I could put an event with in the event?

-What would be the difference of managing my photos through iPhoto and manually through Macintosh HD? If I copy my photos to Macintosh HD and import them to iPhoto, would that take up disk space twice?

2. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

In the new iPhoto, you can edit the dates of events. Under the 'Photos' menu, choose adjust date and time.

I'm not sure about events within events, but you can merge events. Just drag an event on top of another, or you can select two events and merge via the events menu.

Good luck and have fun!

3. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

Events is not a very good way to organize your photos, it is just a starting place to get the photos into iPhoto. Once your photos are in iPhoto set up some Keywords and Smart Albums then you will be able to find any photo you want with a few key strokes and not have to try and remember a few years from now what event the photos is in.
    Lets say I have a photo of Uncle Bob that I took on vacation in 2003 at Blue Lake in Idaho, I would add the Key Words, Blue Lake, Family, Vacation and Idaho (we travel a lot so I have Smart folders for each State).
    I can now find that picture several ways and not have to remember what year it was. I can find him by typing Uncle Bob or Family or Idaho or Blue Lake or Vacations. I could even sort my whole library by Date and scroll down to about the time I took the picture. That is just some of the ways to find a photo fast. Uncle Bob would show up in several Smart Albums, but you would still only have two Pictures of him, the Original and a Modified, well there is a small thumbnail of each too.
    When you stop thinking in terms of Folders (Events), you will find a whole world of new possibilities in finding the photo or group of photos you want almost instantly.
    iPhoto doesn't mess with your Original photo so you can always go back to it if you mess up making adjustments on it.