iPhoto...Events and Albums...I'm confused

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GNice, Aug 27, 2007.

1. GNice macrumors 6502

I'm a recent switcher and love my mac, but iPhoto is confusing me a bit. I just want to create a "library" for my background images. So I created an Album and imported the images from a folder on my hard drive....guess that's the right way.

Anyway, an Event was also created. Well, I don't want an Event. My background images aren't an Event! So I deleted the Event and the images in the Album went away as well.

So what's the right way to simply create a library/collection of images and not also have to any event.

Also on a more general note...why have albums if you have events...just don't understand the relationship between the two.

Any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. expergo macrumors regular

Events are like a timeline of pictures (eg. Joe's wedding 2004, Christmas 2004, etc).

Albums are like categories of pictures (eg. ALL Christmas Pics, Pictures of me and Jessica, etc).

3. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

I would also add that Events are useful if you would normally make more than one album out of a single "event" you take pictures at. Previously, if I took a lot of pictures at a football game, I would put them all in one album. Then I would take the best shots, ones that might go into the school paper, for instance, and I would make another album. Then I'd probably put both albums into a folder. Now the photos I want are buried two levels down, but at least everything is organized.

With Events, I can group all the photos together as one "Event" right away, then pick out the good shots and put those into a single new album. This reduces the complexity of the storage system and keeps everything clean and organized. iPhoto can also hide pictures, so I can quickly take out pictures that I don't want to show a client, but still be able to go back and reveal them if I have second thoughts.

4. simoncoul macrumors member

Hey I'm gonna be switching soon, and when I import my pictures into iPhoto how does the folder hierarchy reflect in the library? Is it done through the albums or events. Like if I import a folder or pictures say "My birthday" from my PC and put it in a album called "My birthday" in iPhoto will they still be in the same folder?