iPhoto events disappear, even from TimeMachine!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lanzdona, May 8, 2014.

1. lanzdona macrumors newbie

We are building a house and taking over 400 photos a day to document the progress.

Unfortunately, we noticed that several days of photos have disappeared. So we went to our Time Machine back up only to find that the 3 days in question are there, meaning the computer backed up for those days, but not the photos!

We get the thumbnails which disappear quickly after they load onto the screen. I've noticed that others have had similar problems as recently as mid 2013, but no solutions. My wife kept tinkering with iPhoto and miraculously have retrieved 111 of the lost photos, even as they don't show up in the folders within the "package contents" of the iPhoto library.

Any ideas?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

You could have a problem with the internal database that iPhoto uses to store edits, previews, and even the originals/masters if you are doing a managed library. The option is to do a referenced library where the originals/masters are stored in normal file folders, not inside the iPhoto database. This is called a referenced library. I use Aperture and always use the referenced storing of original/masters. That way I can also have Lightroom or other applications access the same masters.

You may have database issue. You might need to run the database tools to see if everything is OK and do any needed repairs.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2638?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US