iPhoto - Events or Albums?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sk3pt1c, Oct 23, 2007.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

right, i do like iPhoto 08 but i don't quite see the point in having events and albums containing the same photos.
    i mean, any photos you import are gonna get placed in an event whether you like it or not, right?
    so even if you want them in an album, you'll have to put them in that album and then go back and delete the event or merge it with another or something like that.
    since there's no alternative to events, i might as well just use events and delete all my albums, right?
    are there any advantages that albums have over events?
    why the distinction and what's the point at the end of the day?
    i want to organise my photos cause now they're a mess and i can't make up my mind which way to go about doing it, events or albums?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Until the iPods and other apps can see the Events (possibly with Leopard), then keep your albums. Otherwise, you have to synch or search your entire library...

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i am looking to choose between the two to organise my photos, not to integrate with other apps.
    if i need to send something over to another app, i can just make an album, use it and delete it after i'm done.
    any ups for albums or downs for events?

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I'd go with events since it makes it easier when loading new pictures since iPhoto virtually does it for you - and it will be easy to create albums from them should you need to.

I'd also suggest using Keywords since then you can use Smart Albums which makes life easier.

You might not be bothered now about pushing photos to iPods or other apps but doesn't mean you won't be in the future...

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

well, i think all ilife and iwork apps recognize events so there's really no problem there, is there?
    any negatives to events or positives to albums that i'd need to consider?

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I love how iPhoto uses events. It seems much more intuitive to me.

7. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

You can have events as your primary means of organizing, but have albums that have pictures from more than one event, an album for the "good" pictures from Spring semester or an album with your pictures from your trip to Europe, which could be organized based on separate events, one for each city.

8. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

cool, that's how i'll go about it then.
    one more question...
    i have a lot of duplicate photos, don't really know why.
    they should have similar file names...
    is there any way i can see all the duplicates and delete them
    like you can do in itunes for example?

9. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this is what I'd do too. Separate the concept of an Event and an Album. With the Event being the day we went fishing in Mexico and the Album being the trip to Mexico or wherever.

I believe you can switch off the Events capability though no?

Cheers.

10. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

The only advantage i see in Albums are they can be seen from front row when events cannot unless there is a way i am not aware of...

Does anyone use front row to diapo the photos?

11. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

made up my mind, just need a few questions answered before i hammer on.

1. is there any way i can trace and delete duplicate fotos?
    (they should have similar file names)

2. can i apply a keyword to multiple photos?
    (i want to add keywords to photos in my existing albums so i
    can find them and put them into events after i delete the
    albums.i know i can do it with comments, but i'd like to know
    if i can do it with keywords.)

thanks for all the help!

12. littlevish macrumors member

I thought the new iPods synced the events. I remember seeing something on a video about the Touch...

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Not that I've spotted. I have a Touch but when I first loaded up my picture library (despite it all being in Events), it just loaded up the full library plus the few 'waif' albums I had from creating books etc. I created some 'Touch' albums so that it was easier to view on the iPod.

There are ways to add keywords to multiple photos - the help section in iPhoto probably summarises better than I can. The 'shortcut' letters to add keywords is also incredibly useful. The key to using keywords effectively is figuring out what they should be in advance so that you can be consistent in applying them.

14. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

what about finding duplicate photos and deleting them?

iphoto help didn't really do that much for me when it comes to adding keywords to multiple items...

how do you create keywords and checkmarks in the first place?

15. skybolt macrumors 6502a

For duplicate photos, use iPhoto Diet to remove the dupes. Just be sure to read the instructions so that you know exactly what you are doing. Can be dangerous if you click too soon. Many options -- for instance, you can delete the original of a rotated photo. That would probably be a fine thing to do, but some other choices could be problematic. Great little app, though, just read and be sure before you click!

16. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i'm not really in favour of downloading zillions of little programs to "patch" my apps, too much clutter for me, maybe i'm a neat freak... :)
    i guess i'll have to break them down to as many events as possible so i can find duplicates and delete them easier :D

17. skybolt macrumors 6502a

That sure sounds like an awful lot of work and clutter to me! iPhoto Diet would take care of it in just a few minutes! At least if you are going to do it the hard way, pay attention to the size of the photos -- you may be deleting the actual photo and keeping only the thumbnail. Maybe viewing by date would help by putting the photos (duplicates, etc) next to each other so you can see them better.

Good luck!