iPhoto events - the concept

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wendy Farkas, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Wendy Farkas macrumors newbie

I spent hours struggling with the iPhoto structure, assuming it was like the traditional hierarchical file tree. It was only when I understood that photos were assigned "an event" and that I would link back to those, and consequently doing copying, cutting, pasting in Albums, that I could move on and catalog and arrange my image collection.

For me, the label "event" is counter-intuitive and slowed down my learning of iPhoto. Does anyone know why Apple might have chosen that word? :apple:

Just curious. ;)

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Probably because most people take a series of pictures as part of a single activity. I took 400+ pix yesterday at an autocross. Those become one "event". I find it convenient to think of photo activities as events. A birthday party, reunion, holiday celebrations all can be thought of as events.

3. Wendy Farkas thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, of course. Your examples are obvious. But I'm thinking of candid photos not associated with a time and place, or perhaps a portfolio of projects, or insurance inventory, or other imagery not associated with what we think of as "events."

And anyway, events can be designated by tags and places or other keywords attached to an image. For me, I need to think of the collection as a catalog instead of events.

At any rate, it took me several hours to clean up my collection, but in the process I learned about iPhoto's features (the Faces recognition is a little spooky) and "found" pictures I hadn't seen in quite a while. Thanks to Gary's MacMost tutorials, I learned quite a lot.

Still need to learn more about Image Importer and various photo utilities. I've spent so much time in iOS land that I literally have to reacquaint myself with OSX functionality.