Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakaj

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
Hello,

does anybody know how I could export my manually ordered photos from an iPhoto album in a way that would make the output files have names like 1.jpg, 2.jpg... instead of the original ones, so my friends could see them in correct order when just viewing them in Windows Explorer?

Regards,
Jaka

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
title them with the numbers you want them to have in iPhoto and iPhoto will export them with those numbers and their filenames. or should at least.

knine22

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2010
Hey!

I've finally found a way. For the archives, if someone ever does the search in the future:

iPhoto: Export photos and maintain manual ordering

Regards,
Jaka

that jaka link is dead. any one have any advice?

i have batch retitled my photos through iPhoto. i exported them with the "use Title" option. yes, they stay in order. sweet.
BUT... i would like to maintain the original file name as the file name when exported AND stay in my manual arrangement. is this an impossible task?

i have 11 albums, totalling some 2500 photos, that i've manually arranged. i want to share these albums in the manual sort order but who i'm trying to share with cannot get on my network to simply share albums through a local network, which maintains my manual arrangement AND original file names... or they don't have a PC, for which there is no iPhoto to just open albums burned directly to disc.

ideally, i would like to function to append a prefix to the photo/file name so it retains the actual file name and forces the files to stay in the order i've put them when exported.
has there been a solution or other work around for this issue?

fredtal

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
This post describes my problem to a T. Have there been any updates in the new iPhoto to help?

arindasue

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
Keeping Photos in Order When Exporting

Yay! I finally found out how to keep the photos in your albums in the correct order when you export the album! I am fortunate to have AppleCare so I decided to call them after trying to figure this out for years.

The fellow on the phone said he'd had others call about this and that he and a caller figured it out, trial and error. I suggested they add it to the user guide for the rest of us!

Here you go:
1. Select your album and all the photos in it.
2. Go to Export under File
3. Change File Name option to Sequential
4. Where it says "Prefix for Sequential" type in the exact name of your album.
That's it! When you hit Export, the photos stay in perfect order! Yay!

Laura and Dale

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2016
Florida
Keeping Photos in Order When Exporting

Yay! I finally found out how to keep the photos in your albums in the correct order when you export the album! I am fortunate to have AppleCare so I decided to call them after trying to figure this out for years.

The fellow on the phone said he'd had others call about this and that he and a caller figured it out, trial and error. I suggested they add it to the user guide for the rest of us!

Here you go:
1. Select your album and all the photos in it.
2. Go to Export under File
3. Change File Name option to Sequential
4. Where it says "Prefix for Sequential" type in the exact name of your album.
That's it! When you hit Export, the photos stay in perfect order! Yay!
[doublepost=1461955045][/doublepost]THANK YOU SO MUCH! I was SO tortured by this. I am also working with thousands of photos (backing up family memories). The idea of renaming thousand of photos is crazy. Your instructions did the trick and I am SO grateful. It's insanity that they make it that tricky. Breathing a huge sigh of relief. Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.