iPhoto & external drive weirdness

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cormaggio, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Cormaggio macrumors newbie

(I see there are a number of these threads but found none corresponding to my exact situation.)

I backed up my iPhoto library to my external (Lacie) hard drive over a year ago, with no problems. I've subsequently added many more photos to my library - always (I'm pretty sure) with my Lacie plugged in. However, now I am unable to see the photos I originally uploaded in iPhoto - though an alias of each photo remains in the Lacie's library. Even more bizarrely, the photos I had subsequently added are in a folder that I cannot access. (I enter the filename in Spotlight to find them, and it is unable to do so; I then open the file in Photoshop and choose "save as", which indicates that the files are located in a mysterious Lacie proxy in a "Volumes" folder, which is apparently within Apple HD, but which I cannot then go and actually open from there or the Lacie folder.)

If this makes any sense, could someone see a way to bring back my library so I can see and open these proxy and alias images? Do I need something like iPhoto Library Manager or iPhoto Buddy (which is apparently down due to bandwidth)?

Thanks,
    Cormac

2. Cormaggio thread starter macrumors newbie