Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axeldtf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Is there software out there similar to iphoto's face detection feature? I noticed photoshop elements has this but their product is 90 dollars. I was looking for something a little more inexpensive. Any advice would help, Thanks!

axeldtf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Good point, i may just buy that! Also i'd have to upgrade to snow leopard. Thanks!

Last edited:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Good point, i may just buy that! Also i'd have to upgrade to snow leopard. Thanks!

Picasa is free and has some sort of faces feature. I haven't tried it. I use iPhoto. If you have to upgrade to Snow Leopard, that's $29 I think. Then iLife is another $49. Still less than adobe. I try to avoid adobe software unless I really need it. I have Dreamweaver at home and Photoshop at work but I don't use either of them that often. I prefer lighter weight programs or open source programs like Gimp, but every now and then I have to use an adobe program. One instance is opening pdf files that contain large images. Sometimes preview doesn't open them correctly of there is a font problem and for that reason I have acrobat reader on my mac. But it annoys the heck out of me asking me to upgrade the thing every couple of days. For God's sake, it's just a pdf viewer, why should it need so much of my time and attention? Unfortunately, adobe carries this invasive/pervasive/bloated approach to almost all their software. There are some things that are best done in photoshop or whatever and I will grit my teeth and muscle through using it but I'm happy to fall back to a less capable program when I'm able to. If you are looking for a photo program, don't lock yourself into an adobe solution. Look at Picasa and iPhoto and even Aperture before you consider an adobe product, not only to save money but to save time but if your needs are basic, you can avoid needless complexity by shying away from adobe products.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.