Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2003
I have 23k pics in my library. Never used the Faces feature before but considering it after wasting too much time looking for pics of people. Anyway was wondering if anyone has tried to got back and tag faces for such a large number of pics. Worth it? I'm slowly going back and trying to add geotags to pics that don't have them, which has been interesting.

Also does adding Faces info make the library size increase by a lot?

(BTW I do have Aperture on my laptop but rarely use it. Any reason why I should/should not be making Face tags or geotags in Aperture instead of iPhoto? Same library, right?)

Thanks!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Anyway was wondering if anyone has tried to got back and tag faces for such a large number of pics. Worth it?

Faces takes a lot of time, and still seems to get things wrong a lot.

I helped a client do it, and I don't know if they stuck to it or not. It has major issues with many of their relatives, and would sometimes pick someone out of an advert, or TV screen in a picture as being someone they have previously 'Faced'.

I was going to do that, until that experience.

But to each their own. Maybe it's gotten better since then. But I'd say, with that many pics, 'Pass'...

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
I have 23k pics in my library. Never used the Faces feature before but considering it after wasting too much time looking for pics of people. Anyway was wondering if anyone has tried to got back and tag faces for such a large number of pics. Worth it? I'm slowly going back and trying to add geotags to pics that don't have them, which has been interesting.

Also does adding Faces info make the library size increase by a lot?

(BTW I do have Aperture on my laptop but rarely use it. Any reason why I should/should not be making Face tags or geotags in Aperture instead of iPhoto? Same library, right?)

Thanks!

At least wait for Photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.