iPhoto-file from EXT HDD to Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sandoranges, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Sandoranges macrumors newbie

Hello,

My mother has a Time Capsule.
    She uses it for backup and has a lot of free space.

Is it possible for me to move my iPhoto-library from an USB HDD to the Time Capsule?

Thanks in advanced for any tips!

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I believe it is possible, before using backups, I used my TC as an NAS device. Held all of my movie files on there. But there was noticeable lag-time when streaming them. So yeah, you can place files (and i assume the iPhoto file also) onto the TC next to backups. (Im not sure how to redirect your iPhoto to point to the new library location though)

Some people may not recommend having files in the same directory as the backups, so partitioning the TC HDD is an option to keep them separate if youd like.

A third option, you can actually just connect the USB HDD that your library is currently on to the TC, and it will become remotely accessible.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That will work, but just understand it won't be backed up anywhere. If that TC dies you photos are gone.

You will want to make sure two users don't have the iPhoto library open at the same time as that can cause problems.

Also, this will be very slow.

4. Sandoranges thread starter macrumors newbie

I really don't need access to it actually, maybe I wasn't so precise.

I don't use (or even live in the same house as) the Time Capsule.
    Just thought it would be a good place to have a backup of my iPhoto-library.

EDIT: Yes, thats what I want, its ok if it take long time. But how do I do it?
    Connect the USB directly to the TC? Or to the Mac and transfer wirelessly?

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

OH so its just a manual backup of the file? yeah you can do either or. Connect it to the TC and move it, or connect it to your mac and move it that way. Either should work. Just find the Time Capsule drive on the sidebar.

Im not sure if the TC would have to be set up specifically for file access, but I know I needed a separate user/pass to get access the TC as a HDD.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just so I understand, you just want to use Mom's TC disk as a place to keep an extra copy of your iPhoto library? That will work just fine.

You would want to attach the USB drive to the Mac then just drag and drop the iPhoto library from the USB drive to another Finder tab/window opened to the TC disk.

7. Sandoranges thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, thats what I want. Maybe it was a very stupid question, didn't think I could access the TC wirelessly as a ext HDD but it seems like its working now!

Thanks for quick and great help!