iPhoto File Management

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wordlessjam, Aug 23, 2009.

1. wordlessjam macrumors member

wordlessjam

Hey. I am looking to get a MacBook Pro for when I go to uni and I am coming from a PC. And I wanted to know if there is anyway of looking at your photos that are in iPhoto without actually opening up iPhoto itself? As in look through folders of photos in Finder?

Thanks

2. hamish5178 macrumors member

3. devburke Guest

Well it's not quite that simple by default. This option in iPhoto is checked by default:

Picture 1.png

If you uncheck it, you can organize your photos however you want in Finder before adding them to iPhoto.

But if you leave it checked, iPhoto copies your photos into an "iPhoto Library" file, which is actually a folder disguised as a file, for easy portability, and to prevent people from messing around inside of it, as that would screw things up. However, you can still get into the folder easily (just be sure not to change anything!).

What you want to do is right click on "iPhoto Library" in your Pictures folder and select "Show Package Contents". This will open up the folder, and the pictures are in two subfolders, "Modified" and "Originals". iPhoto always keeps a copy of the original version of a photo you import, in case you want to revert. If you never modified a photo, it will only appear in the "Originals" folder. However, as you'd expect, if you did modify it at all, there will be one version in each folder. Not the most convenient way to browse photos, but then again you're never meant to browse this way anyway. Within these folders, pictures are sorted by year and then event title.

Of course, to actually view the pictures once you've found them is easy. The best way would be either Cover Flow to browse through, or Quick Look (just hit the spacebar):

Picture 2.png

Personally I'd just open up iPhoto. It's much more suited for browsing a photo library. If you're trying to use the photo in another app, you can still drag it right outta iPhoto as if it was the Finder.

If you're just trying to look through a folder of photos, you don't have to add them to iPhoto at all. Just use Cover Flow and/or Quick Look.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can look, but since they are in iPhoto's library database, I would advise against it. If you change anything, it can corrupt the DB.

I just browse using iPhoto, it only takes a few seconds to open on my machine, and it's old.

5. wordlessjam thread starter macrumors member

wordlessjam

Thanks very much guys. Cos at the moment on my PC I have all my photos in folders and I don't have to open a program to look at them. I find it easier this way. And if I used Winodws Live Photo Gallery to modify a photo it doesn't create a different version but I can still revert back to the old one if I want. In my opinion I think this is better. But everyones opinion differs.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It does create a different version, you just don't see it.

7. devburke Guest

Yeah that's one thing iPhoto gets criticized for. There's "non-destructive" photo editing, which changes the picture but doesn't lose any of the original data, so it can always be reverted. It really only has to add the changes. iPhoto, on the other hand, just makes a whole other copy.

8. wordlessjam thread starter macrumors member

wordlessjam

Oh thanks I didnt realise that. Ok now that is sorted. I noticed when I had a look at a Mac today and unchecked the copy items to iPhoto box the Coloursync one then unchecked. What is this and does it matter? So if I uncheck the copy items to iPhoto box will I be able to browse my photos like I said but still use iPhoto if I as well?

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

iPhoto will add color information to the photos as it copies them, if you don't let iPhoto copy the photos, it cannot add the info.

Yes, you can then import the photos to iPhoto, it will reference where each one is, but it won't touch it.