iPhoto files question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Benjer, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Benjer macrumors member

When I delete a photo from my library in iPhoto, does it also delete all instances of the file, such as the copy in the "originals" folder?

2. mahoneyjoe macrumors newbie

Looks to me that the answer is no.
    I went into iphoto (06 for me) and looking at my Halloween pics for a gap in file numbers, then searched in finder for the missing file, and low and behold the missing/deleted file is still listed in the original and thumbnail/data sections of the iphoto library. Doing a search for the missing/deleted file in iphoto turns up nothing. Both the iphoto trash and main trash have been emptied. I can open the missing/deleted file found in the Finder with Preview.

If anyone can explain this, I would like to know. This could be the reason people think their iPhoto libraries are exceedingly large--because you can't really delete? I know I take a lot of soccer pics using the drive function of my camera and end up with a lot of garbage shots, that I guess aren't really getting trashed after import.
    Link to iphoto support in Apple forums:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8269872&#8269872

Ok....I did more searching for gap/missing/deleted files based on the file numbers, and most of the latest searches turn up nothing, as in once deleted, they stayed deleted; I don't know what the differences are.

3. cycler15 macrumors member

The guys who posted on that thread said you need to move the pics to the iPhoto trash and then clear the trash to truly delete the pic from your computer. Is there a difference between using the iPhoto trash versus the normal trash?