Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdueblondie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
I basically drag and drop my photos into specific albums in my iPhoto (i.e. 'Holidays '05).

The problem is, when i go to the finder and look for files in my iPhoto Library, they are all mixed up with pictures I took last week ending up in the 2000 folder and so on.

Is there a way to properly organize the picture files in the 'finder view' of iPhoto Library so that if I need to search for a specific photo through finder, I know where to look?

Thanks,

-hopeless obsessive organizer

peterparker

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Houston
Looks like iPhoto's file structure is based on its film rolls. If you use the film rolls it will be much easier to find pictures in Finder.

In addition you can right-click on a photo in iPhoto and choose Show File. A Finder window will open to the directory where the picture file is.

peterparker

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Houston
EricNau said:
Even if organized under film rolls, iPhoto does not have an organized file structure.

Hmmm, mine is pretty organized. iPhoto Library -> Originals -> Year -> Film Roll Name.

fukuhela

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2001
Scandinavia
peterparker said:
Hmmm, mine is pretty organized. iPhoto Library -> Originals -> Year -> Film Roll Name.

Half a year back when i still had my PB 1.5 my iPhoto library were organized really need. iPhoto Library -> Year -> Month -> Day. This made it really easy to find a specific picture. Say I wanted to make some changes in photoshop to a picture i took on my birtday. Then I could easily find that picture in Finder without opening the iPhoto app.

But today with my MPB I got the same structure as quoted above. In this structure it is at best impossible to find any specific pictures without opening iPhoto.

Any suggestions to how I can revert to my original setting in the PB haydays?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.