iPhoto: film roll vs. album?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScKaSx, Aug 13, 2007.

1. ScKaSx macrumors regular

Hi All,

I was just wondering what the differences between film roll and album were on iphoto? Also any suggestions on how to use the film roll? I understand the album well enough and see its benefits but not so much the film roll (much less the two together). If anyone can shed light on this question I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Cheers,
    ScKaSx

2. 66217 Guest

Film Roll is made for when you import your photos from your camera they are all in a same part (film roll). Much like the new Events in iPhoto 08'.

For example: In Bill's birthday you took 50 photos, when you import them to your Mac, iPhoto let's you name the Film Roll, so you put "Bills Birthday".

The problem is when in one day you have two events Bills birthday and Alison party, then all the photos would go to a single film roll. And later you need to create a new film roll to move Alison party to this new film roll.

So basically a Film Roll is just to help you be better organized. You may create an album of only your favorite images a birthday party, so you create an album for this. But you can still search by Film Roll to find all the pictures of that birthday party.

I personally just use albums, keywords and tag my photos (filling the description box). Film Rolls are just not so good.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've always organized my library using film rolls, but I've always treated it just like "events" in iLife '08.

I use albums for other things, such as condensing 800 photos from a trip to a manageable 100 to show my friends.