iPhoto for iOS 5.1...

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by svredhead2008, Mar 12, 2012.

1. svredhead2008 macrumors newbie

Ok all, I have iPhoto for the iPhone 4S and I am about to upload it to my iPad (1st Gen) as we speak :)apple: iPad is updating now). What are you opinions on iPhoto for mobile devises? Does it compete with Photoshop? Is it a good photo editor for a serious photographer? Let me know what y'all think! :cool:

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I think it's absolute garbage on the 4S. Every time I try to use Auto Enhance it either completely freezes my phone or crashes the app. The editing features are a pain in the butt to use. Probably a nice app on the iPad but sucks on the iPhone, in my opinion.

3. amitabhbansal macrumors 6502

on my iphone 4, 4s and ipad 2 its working awsome, as the features in it we cant compare photoshop with it, photoshop have many many tools, but in this iPhoto little tools but very effective, i am loving it a lot, a must have app for us

4. QuarterSwede, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's a really good mix of iPhoto organization and Photoshop brushes and filters you actually use. It's easily worth more than $4.99 for sure.

Pros
    • I really like how you can A/B with the Edited/Original. Basically tapping the button just hides the editing layer but it's so quick (rapid A/B) you can really see some of the subtle things you may have done (ex. lightly desaturate).
    • I also really like how you can use your finger with the brushes. It's incredibly quick on my 4.
    • UI is easy to get out of the way and is surprisingly customizable for an Apple app (you can hide just about the entire UI, supports portrait and landscape throughout). I can't speak to the iPad's UI but I imagine it's fine as they did a stand up job on the iPhone's small screen.

Cons
    • It is a bit of a pain as every time it's loaded it needs to update the library (it's looking to see if you've taken pictures or added any since you last used it). I would prefer a manual refresh button but this is obviously made for normal folks that don't want to think.
    • Can't send straight to Messages app. Strange oversight as you can send it to just about anything else including Facebook.
    • Doesn't support Faces (even just syncing). Feature parity issue with iPhoto '11.

Both of these photos I edited in under 5 minutes:

Softened Background to add Depth of Field (it is originally all in focus), Lightened face where it meets my arm
    [​IMG]

Desaturated background, Lightly saturated son
    [​IMG]

5. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Absolutely awesome app!! One issue, though ... and maybe someone has an answer ... you cannot delete a photo within iPhoto. Alllegedly, this is supposed to be as simple as deleting from stock Photo, according to reviews of the app. But that doesn't work. I cannot find an option to delete anywhere!

So, I'm using stock Photo to do most of my photo involvement and iPhoto for editing.

6. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

I didn't think iPhoto was compatible with the first gen iPad?

7. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

It looks like you took this in church. How was the sermon? Or did you not here it because you were playing with your iPhone? ;)

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I figured I'd get some crap. I snapped the picture then edited it afterwards if it makes any difference.

9. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Dude. I'm joking around, not giving you crap.