iPhoto for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by harry20larry, Mar 29, 2011.

1. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

All the other iLife apps seem to have made it across, why hasn't iPhoto, it seems so perfectly fitted. Didn't stop me making some mockups, one can only hope for Apple to deliver at WWDC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I should imagin there is no iphoto because the camera is so terribly bad.

3. aicul macrumors 6502a

maybe it's because its not so reasonable to try to edit photos on iPhone

4. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Thats true, however, what about all the people that use the iPad with the camera connection kit. The options that Apple offers for users who want to import photos is terrible. You can't even order them into a folder/event, let alone do inline editing.

5. aicul macrumors 6502a

what really surprises me is what people want to do on an iPad.

point taken this is a great machine, but in the end photos are better managed on a computer. the iPad should remain what it is, a device to consume information not to process it.

but i do agree the present iPad photo app is not even at par to the iPhone photo app. and this is truely sad.

6. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Yes it seems to me that Apple don't take anything photo based seriously on the iPad yet. They are all about video at the moment.

7. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I completely disagree, it is great at consuming, but ultimately, where the iPad has shone is apps that have blown us away in what you can produce on an iPad (Garage band, sketchbook etc)

There are countless times when I take my camera with me when I will be away from a computer for more than a day and want to manage and do some basic editing of the photos I take that day. I think an iPhoto app that can sync changes/events back to the mac will be so useful in this area.

Why iMovie and not iPhoto apple?

8. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

the stock photo app integrates with iphoto for mac, does it not?

9. kultschar macrumors 6502a

10. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

+1. This is exactly the issue: if the iPad is powerful enough to run a version of iMovie, why not iPhoto?

11. joemeetsjane macrumors member

i'm with harry20larry on this one.. the iPad is undoubtedly great at consumption.. however, i think the original spill of the iPad as a pure consumption device was what apple PR thought the iPad should be marketed as..

this device is no way such a limiting device. you can tell that even apple doesnt believe this and they want to slowly ease their way into the minds of consumers with the iPad as a creation device subtlely with each new release.

my reason for stating as such is the apps that apple announces with every iPad launch so far;

iPad 1 had the productivity suite: Pages, Numbers, Keynote
    iPad 2 now has the entertainement suite: iMovie, garageband

i'm also rather perplexed on why iPhoto is not in this batch though. hopefully apple doesnt think that the Photos app is sufficient

12. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    The answer is obvious. I'm surprised no one has stated it.

The photo app is built into the OS. iMovie and Garageband were "extra" apps that Apple made that aren't automatically on every iDevice.

Apple has never updated the Contacts app, or the Photo app, or the Maps app except for on major X.0 updates (maybe a few minor tweaks). The current photos app on the iPad was created waaaaaay back in 2009. The iPad hasn't had a proper update of it's own because the 4.0 upgrade was originally made with the iPhone in mind.

Now it is clear the iPhoto WILL become the next big app with iOS 5, following all the other iLife apps. the "photos" app will get rebranded with an overhaul to boot.

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if this doesn't happen (at least on the iPad) for iOS 5.

13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

oh right.... because Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, and Garageband are totally consumption applications....

Face it. An iPhoto app makes a lot of sense on an iPad, arguably more than any of those other apps. ESPECIALLY when you use your "consumption" argument. Photo's are much more about consumption than those other apps

Good catch on that. Apple is slowly rolling out "creation" apps for the iPad.

Again the reason for no iPhoto in the last batch is because there will be no photos app and iPhoto side-by-side. Talk about awkward... The app will be updated in a future major update. I will be utterly shocked if iOS 5 doesn't have it

14. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I've always felt that's true. It would force that embarrassing camera too far into the spotlight if iPhone for iPad existed.

But I do hope it comes out some day because primarily for Faces/Places. These are incredible features when you've tagged your library, but the process of doing so is tedious. But put it on a tablet to do while watching TV and I'll gladly do it.

15. gatearray macrumors 65816

Those are terrific mock-ups, harry20larry!

And a great observation and idea, too, regardless of what some of these short-sighted commenters have said about it here. Forgive them, for they simply do not understand. :)

Making iPhoto proper for iPad would be amazing, just like GarageBand on iPad has been. Have any of you naysayers even seen or used that app? I had my MIDI keyboard plugged into it via the camera connection kit last night and recorded my own original music easily and enjoyably, and the sound quality is great!

iPhoto on iPad? Lots you could do, but how about this for starters...

Sync your last few batches of imported photos from your Mac, or dump your photos from your digital directly into the iPad to organize in iPhoto App on iPad on the couch or the plane, for that matter.

Get home and re-sync your iPad and your work transfers back to iPhoto on your Mac with all your tags and organizing synced. Cool, huh?

Now how abut laying out your next iPhoto photo book on the iPad's touch screen, editing the pages and layout, getting it just right, then sending it up to Apple for printing after thoroughly previewing an animated view of your new creation on your iPad screen.

People love stuff like this, women especially! Not everyone can make music in GarageBand even with the help of "smart instruments," but anyone can be creative with photos and lots of people like to do just that on their computers right now, it is their hobby.

iPhoto on iPad? Slam dunk, in my opinion.

16. joemeetsjane macrumors member

haha. yeah. that'd be pretty awkward having 2 photo-related apps. fingers crossed the photos app gets a major update and rebranded to iPhoto for iOS 5. that and a sandboxed documents/files app that other apps can access and the iPad would be perfect for me:p

17. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Thanks guys.

I do like the idea of Apple updating the Photos app to iPhoto in iOS 5, but they would have to do the same with the iPhone as they don't ever differentiate the software features.

18. ParishYoung, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

I think the difficulty for Apple is going from what they have now to an App which is part of the iLife sweet, but one that they would not be able to charge for like they can with the others.

iMovie and Garageband are purchased separately, whereas the Photo's App on iPad and iPhone is included by default. Changing Photo's to iPhoto would mean they cannot charge the £4.99 price (or whatever the others are)

I think the above commenters idea of being able to organise / tag your photo's via iOS device ready for syncing next time you're at your Mac is a great, time saving idea.

I have a Mac myself (obviously) so I'm not aware of what happens when you don't have one. Perhaps a Windows user can advise us. When you go into the Photo's App on your iPhone / iPad and you have the options for Events, Faces & Places at the bottom, do your photo's show up in these?

I would imagine Places do for photo's captured on the iPhone, but Events and Faces, can the iPhone arrange those without first using iPhoto on a Mac?

19. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

that's not entirely true. Go search your iPhone for a "movies" app. Let me know if you find one. The iPod Touch is the only device to have a "music" app instead of an "iPod" app. The iPad is missing the calculator app, the weather app, the clock app, the phone app, the SMS app...

They can have different apps or even call them different things. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if iPhoto came to both iPad and iPhone. But I think that the iPad version would be far superior. The iPhone version would probably only get smaller tweaks for on the go stuff. Remember all the iPad apps were "reworked from the ground up" so they could easily be vastly different from the iPhone apps

20. sigamy macrumors 65816

When iLife '11 came out everyone was thinking that the new iPhoto "full screen" interface was designed in a way that Apple could port iPhoto to the iPad.

I defintely see a use case for iPhoto like capabilibies on the iPad. To be able to sit comfortably and go through photos, deleting bad shots, applying star ratings, tags, location, faces, etc. would be very useful.

Anything to help get my huge photo library better organized is a good thing.

21. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

22. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

+100 It makes way more sense then iMovie. Glad someone said it.

:confused: Just because my MBP has a camera doesn't mean I use my laptop to take pictures. I'd imagine most of us use a digital camera.

23. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

iWeb hasn't made it and I'd really like that.

It's been a huge disappointment to me that iWeb was never updated as an HTML5 creation application. Apple really dropped the ball there.

And yeah, I'd love to have it on the iPad as I am going to need to start updating my blog and other pages via my iPad. Still looking for the right solution.

24. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I was about to mention this as well. Those who think iPhoto doesnt make sense on an iPad are lost.

I say it is eventually going to come tot he iPad, maybe even when iOS 5 is introduced. Dont see any reason why Apple wouldnt include the final piece to the iLife suite.

if Adobe, THE measurement stick of photo editing seems to think they need to jump on the iPad bandwagon with a full featutred app, I think Apple will eventually bring the funk too.